Sign in to follow this  
Remo

Diet For Upset Stomach?

Remo

Sam has been vomiting his supper Sat.,Sun., and tonight. Had him into the vet today for a checkup. She thought he probably ate some crud outside and has a big load of bacteria. X-rays showed nothing detrimental. The vet put him on an antibiotic and gave me some probiotoic to mix with his food. She she thought his regular kibble should be ok. Sam drinks water fine but came down with the runs just before we went into the vet and still has it tonight.

So, has anyone had experience with a recipe for a bland food mix? I saw cooked eggs and cottage cheese as a suggestion. Monday I tried scrambled eggs and cream of wheat for him and he did keep that down but I was afraid the cream of wheat may have been the trigger for the runs.

NHBirddogger

Always thought hamburger and rice worked well.

Hettmoe
33 minutes ago, NHBirddogger said:

Always thought hamburger and rice worked well.

+1

Remo

Ok, thanks, I'll try it in the morning.

Dogwood

2 parts white rice (not brown) 1 part ground beef or better yet turkey/chicken breast.

Remo

Thank you.

CWTNC

Chicken and white rice. Maybe add pumpkin.

sdspringer49

Rice, eggs, pumpkin, and plain non sweetened yogurt.  Yogurt and pumpkin (plain pumpkin, not pie filling) especially are supposed to be good for their stomachs and I often add either of them to their regular meal to give them a bit extra treat that is good for them.

gunsrus

I have good luck with Hamburg and white rice for a couple days . I boil the hamburg , it eliminates the grease . 

Brookieslayer

I have a similar program, use boiled chicken and rice. Start 2:1 with Rice chicken ratio and over 4 meals or so switch to 1:2 rice to chicken and start adding kibble into the mix to transition back to the normal diet.

make sure you do not overfeed, too much food in pushes too much stool out the back and will keep the stool soft, not normal.

Jakeismydog2

Cottage cheese and rice is what my vet suggests. That has worked well for my dogs in the past.