• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
20gauge

Limp tail syndrome

Ray Gubernat

If it has lasted this long..it is bad.  Most cases I have had lasted a few days at most.  I would give some thought to splinting the tail especially to support the area where the tail bends.  That is obviously the locus of the injury/inflammation.  The more immobile you can keep the tail, the better.  (I am no vet but it sounds like there was/is a relatively sever sprain. so treating it like one is probably your best course of action. 

If it were my dog I'd get a length of PVC pipe with the interior diameter the size of the lower part of the dog's tail, cut in about half, lengthwise and wrap it in place under the tail for support.   Keep up with the anti inflammatory meds and keep the dog quiet and warm.

I'm not sure I would continue with the chiropractic, as that might be aggravating the inflammation.

Good luck.

RayG

Dogwood

Vet needs to do a neurologic exam of tail and entire rear quarters.

20gauge

Asked vet about a stint and both said no. Thank you for the idea , it was worth a try. My vet that is doing laser continues to be optimistic he will get better

20gauge
22 minutes ago, 20gauge said:

Cannot get picture to link. Lol

SLR
8 hours ago, 20gauge said:
8 hours ago, 20gauge said:

Cannot get picture to link. Lol

There are several ways to attach an image to this board. One is to use a host like photobucket to upload to their service and then put in the link (url) to the image in your post. A second method is that you can directly upload the image from your desktop or other photo file using the prompt at the bottom of the window where you are typing your reply. See the image of a paper clip? drag the file there or click on choose files and select the address for the file on your coomputer. Play with it, you can get it done.

Brad Eden
29 minutes ago, SLR said:

There are several ways to attach an image to this board. One is to use a host like photobucket to upload to their service and then put in the link (url) to the image in your post. A second method is that you can directly upload the image from your desktop or other photo file using the prompt at the bottom of the window where you are typing your reply. See the image of a paper clip? drag the file there or click on choose files and select the address for the file on your coomputer. Play with it, you can get it done.

Yes the traditional way of using a photohost site like photobucket to access a URL to post photos is enabled.

BUT the ability to upload photos directly to posts is reserved for the Contributing Member Group. (Your Group shows under your Avatar) I pay monthly for all things Board related including a data plan to store uploaded photos etc. and this Donation plan is how UJ stays online.

Member Group/Priviliges Info: Member Groups/Priviliges Topic

Photo Uploading/Resizing Info: Photo Uploading/Resizing Topic

Clueless1

Not a pointing dog, but I have a thread below this one with a lab.  It was 3-4 weeks before I was comfortable that his tail was completely healed.  And I'm still paying attention to it, although he hunted last week for 4-5 hours without a problem. 

20gauge

Update on my dog. Have not seen much improvement. It has been 5 weeks and still not looking good. Thanks everyone for there suggestions, I am going to not run him the rest of season to give him every chance to get over this. 

Brad Eden

That's too bad, hopefully a long time down will get it right.

Dogwood

If you pinch his tail can he A) feel it? Turns his head sharply or avoids?  B) Move it?

20gauge

Yes if you pinch tail he can feel it but it but it does not hurt him. He really has never  acted like his tail hurts him at all. He can wags his tail side to side with no side effects

SLR

I would just say the diagnosis of limber tail was wrong or incomplete. The critical point for me is the crook in the tail. I don't see that as part of the limber tail picture. Not seeing the crook and/or the X-ray of that spot, it is hard to guess.  I have no idea as to what the problem is/was, but it is not like any limber tail I have ever seen, nor read about. I see limber tail as a kind of overuse injury, like tennis elbow, tendonitis and myopathy.  

Dogwood

Like 5 weeks now?!  Geez.  Time to try some prednisone and quit the screwin' around;).  Laser schmazer.

20gauge

If you google search limp tail syndrome in English setter you can see a picture of how tail looks crooked. I will ask vet about prednisone, I had previously used rimaydl for inflammation