Brad Eden

Independence....

Brad Eden

IMG_0201.JPG

We had a recent snow, ice and wind storm where we lost power for 2 days and were trapped on our street due to trees and wires down across our town maintained dirt road on both ends. My snowblower, which is a big one, did the best it could throwing what amounted to wet cement. But this storm was too much for it to clear the whole 80-100 yard driveway including a turnaround. So a friend down the street scooped out the end of the driveway and bad spots with his tractor and bucket. I don't like to depend on anyone living so far off main roads and with a long driveway. And JoAnn works shifts at local hospitals and needs to be able to get out of the driveway and to work if at all possible in her small SUV.

Turns out Ethan the son of my friend Scott who I mention all the time, recently bought a 2003 first generation Toyota Tundra which is essentially the same as my 2006. His truck came with a 2010 Boss Sport Duty plow. This is one of the few decent light duty plows these first gen Toyota Tundras can handle. It's a poly plow but with heavy steel frame, etc., a lot beefier than the Homesteader, the homeowner plow Fisher sells. He didn't plan on using the plow at all since his dad has a bigger tuck and plow. 

Sooooooo, we had his plow set up swapped to my truck, everything fit, from frame to plow and wiring harness and controls all good. Taking it on and off is a bit of a pain, since you really need another set of eyes to line you up, but I'm sure I'll get use to it. I'll just anticipate snow events and have JoAnn help me. As luck would have it I had just had new struts/shocks put in front recently, and the 420 lb plow doesn't drop the front of truck much at all. I drove it home on I-95 today and the truck ran remarkably smooth even at highway speed. It will only be used for my driveway, so shouldn't beat up my truck too much.

Now Im waiting for the first decent snowstorm!

Hub

I like it!  I use a plow on my 4 wheeler at the hunting shack.  It's enough of a pain in the butt that I occasionally think about getting a plow for the truck.  It could pull double duty getting me to my ice fishing spots as well as making short work of the drive way to the shack.  Alas...I am too cheap. :) 

25/06

53 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Taking it on and off is a bit of a pain, since you really need another set of eyes to line you up, but I'm sure I'll get use to it. I'll just anticipate snow events and have JoAnn help me.

Friend of mine uses old baby monitor for hook up claims it is a snap!

Brad Eden
34 minutes ago, Hub said:

I like it!  I use a plow on my 4 wheeler at the hunting shack.  It's enough of a pain in the butt that I occasionally think about getting a plow for the truck.  It could pull double duty getting me to my ice fishing spots as well as making short work of the drive way to the shack.  Alas...I am too cheap. :) 

Im cheaper than you I bet...got this all set up for less than 1/2 of what a new plow and installation would have cost. A lot less money than the sub compact tractor with bucket and accessory attachment snow blade I've been dreaming about!

Sage Hen

Not too big and not too small I think you are going to like this set up. When I had a plow I did find I had a lot more friends than I ever knew about but it should be well worth it.

Natty Bumpo

Good move. Nice looking setup. That plow and truck, in your own driveway, should handle whatever Mother Nature might have in store. Without tearing up your equipment, nor your property. Your wife needs to get out, no matter what, and that truck and plow plus that big snow blower  will make that happen.

I like redundancy (a Plan B)  when it comes to winter safety. We have a Kubota L3010 4WD w/ FEL and a 60" New Holland 3PH snow blower. Plus a HONDA HS828 to clean up around the garage, barn and walks.  We could always get out, no matter what. But have helped several neighbors experiencing equipment failure during the worst winter weather.

pa'tridge hunters

I think that I remember suggesting a plow to you just before you bought your snow blower, and you said,"Noooooo, I'd never do thaaaat".

Now you got one of each. Thank you btw. The best way to insure that there won't be any snow is to buy new snow removal equipment. 

Dogwood

Ah snow plow newbie! Plowing snow is actually rather fun IMO.  You'll gradually learn how to finesse the snow and pile it back so you don't get closed in prematurely.  My favorite maneuver is pushing the snow towards a pile then scooping the newly plowed snow up and over the mound.  Go slow and be gentle!  I had a Boss plow; removing it was easy but putting it back on is a tad fiddly but you'll get the hang of it after a few cussing sessions.

Enjoy!

Brad Eden

To its credit, the snowthrower handled 98% of all snow events the last 3 years,   and I actually like throwing snow even if it takes a long time with this driveway. But it's that 2% of wet heavy snow that leaves you stranded. In reality a friend would snowplow my driveway for $25 which is half what other plowers would charge. The math didn't really dictate a plow, but I like independence and not having to wait.

You plowers use plow shoes? This didn't come with any. Original owner may have taken them off and last buyer doesn't have them. I know some people use them and some take them off. I'm good right now with ice 3" thick on driveway, but early and late season I'll be back to a hard packed gravel driveway. Not pea gravel or loose but I don't want to tear it up. Or do you lift plow a tad for gravel?

WPG Gizmo

You do know that by putting a plow on your truck mid season that you jinxed the snow fall for the rest of the season there goes all my OT :D

Early late season or really any time that the ground is soft like right now lower your plow then take it up a notch or two you will get the feel for it when your plowing and experience is the best teacher but you want the plow to float over the ground and not dig into it.

Dont plow fast and take small bites guys that plow fast do nothing but beat up the trucks and gear things break when you hit solid objects like frozen snow piles with a full head of steam even in the big truck we do not go much over 25 on the road.

Push the snow away from your driveway much farther then you think otherwise as it builds up it will close you in making it that much harder.  Also plan where you want the snow to go before the storm.

Invest in a long chain and a come along a lot of weight is hanging off the front now and it is easy to get stuck with a hydraulic plow like I use that runs off the engine you can work the plow back and forth to unstick yourself but with the electric/hydraulic plow on the new trucks you do not have the power to do that this is where a come along with a length of chain will get you out of any problems

Brad Eden

IMG_0209.JPG

Storms comming....Poised....

braque du upstate

I suck with a plow. glad I learned with the company truck. a lesson or two is time or money well spent.  a driveway shouldn't be that hard.  I didn't find it intuitive or enjoyable.  it's not hard , just easy to make mistakes.