Brad Eden

Skunk Removal Recipe

Brad Eden

The Skunk Remedy Recipe

In a plastic bucket, mix well the following ingredients:

1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 to 2 teaspoons liquid soap

For very large pets one quart of tepid tap water may be added to enable complete coverage.

Wash pet promptly and thoroughly, work the solution deep into the fur. Let your nose guide you, leave the solution on about 5 minutes or until the odor is gone. Some heavily oiled areas may require a "rinse and repeat" washing.

Skunks usually aim for the face, but try to keep the solution out of the eyes - it stings. If you have any cuts on your hands you might want to wear latex gloves for the same reason.

After treatment, thoroughly rinse your pet with tepid tap water.

Pour the spent solution down the drain with running water.

NEVER, ever, store mixed solution in a closed bottle, sprayer,etc. Pressure will build up until the container bursts. This can cause severe injury.

OF NOTE:

1) Clean plastic mixing containers and utensils are preferred. Metals encourage auto-decomposition of the peroxide.

2) Hydrogen Peroxide 3% solution is usually sold in pint (500ml) bottles, so you'll need two. The 3% grade is often marked "U.S.P.", meaning that it meets the standards for medical use and purity as set forth in the United States Pharmacopoeia. The use of other strengths/grades is not recommended unless you're a chemist, and even then a trip to the 24-hour drugstore is much better than a trip to the emergency room.

3) Use baking soda, not baking powder. "Arm and Hammer" is one popular brand. Baking soda is also called: Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Bicarbonate, U.S.P., Bicarbonate of Soda, and Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate. Do not confuse any of the above with Washing Soda, which is Sodium Carbonate. Washing Soda is about 100 times more alkaline than Baking Soda and can cause skin burns to both you and your pet.

4) Two preferred brands are "Softsoap" and "Ivory Liquid". As far as auto-decomposition of the peroxide is concerned, the surfactant package in these two is fairly inert. Heavy-duty grease-cutting brands such as "Dawn" are less inert, and hair shampoo is probably the worst.

5) Once mixed, the peroxide slowly breaks down into water and oxygen gas. Thus it gets weaker with time and so it should be used promptly. The exact rate depends on temperature, pH, and catalysts such as trace amounts of metals (iron,etc.) in the soap and/or tap water.

How much pressure will the complete decomposition of 3% hydrogen peroxide produce in a closed container ??? It depends on how full the container is. Assuming negligible solubility of Oxygen in water, a bottle half-full of peroxide will develop about 140 psi. A bottle 3/4 full would develop 420 psi. This can do a lot of damage. Highly pure hydrogen peroxide decomposes very slowly if kept cool and in a dark place, a few percent a year. The more dilute solutions usually decompose faster (due to impurities in the dilution water) and have a trace of stabilizer added. So why aren't the bottles in the store bloated or bursting ? Look carefully inside the cap... you'll see some very tiny holes in the cap liner to let the oxygen gas escape. A good reason to always store bottles upright. Look for an expiration date on your peroxide. If you're using stuff which has been sitting around in your medicine cabinet for years, buy fresh peroxide.

6) Tepid: lukewarm.

7) All brand names mentioned in this website are trademarks of their various owners.

Mundo

My best results have been just Hydrogen Peroxide in a garden sprayer.  Cover their eyes and spray it.  Peroxide won't burn their eyes if you accidentally get some there.  The sprayer soaks it deep down to the skin.  Nothing works as well as you would like it.  If you want to carry something premixed for that dog that really likes skunks, get female douche solution from the drug store.  

Chukarman

Repeat as needed, I use a big tub or a wheel barrow.

Spin
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:00 PM, Mundo said:

My best results have been just Hydrogen Peroxide in a garden sprayer.  Cover their eyes and spray it.  Peroxide won't burn their eyes if you accidentally get some there.  The sprayer soaks it deep down to the skin.  Nothing works as well as you would like it.  If you want to carry something premixed for that dog that really likes skunks, get female douche solution from the drug store.  

Mundo, the given formula was concocted by a chemist who lived in Northern Ill. and worked for Dow Chemical Co. He came up with it after his cat got really dosed by a skunk. The mixture of the Baking soda and peroxide in the proportions given combine and act at a molecular level to neutralize the "Stink" component in the Skunk scent. The liquid soap is there to help break down the natural oily base and help the other ingredients work more effectively. Together in combination they will act more effectively than any single one.

Hammergun

I just use Skunk off. I can get it in Tractor supply and carry in my truck during the hunting season. Just had to use it on Maicie. It has a squirt cap and can be sprayed directly on her.  

Two Barrels

The peroxide, baking soda, dish detergent solution works.  I had to do this to my setter last December when we were out in Kansas.  It was 32 degrees at high noon.  He got two batches of the solution.  Neither of us enjoyed it.  That skunk hit him square in the face with all he had.  I still get a whiff of skunk when my Astro and Dogtra collars get wet.  That skunk oil is terrible stuff!  Silver lining is that the Astro did let me know he was on point!

One thing to remember with this process is Do Not rinse your dog with water prior to bathing with the peroxide solution.  Water will cause the oils to migrate deeper into their coat and it reduces the effectiveness of the peroxide solution.

fishvik
2 hours ago, Two Barrels said:

The peroxide, baking soda, dish detergent solution works.  I had to do this to my setter last December when we were out in Kansas.  It was 32 degrees at high noon.  He got two batches of the solution.  Neither of us enjoyed it.  That skunk hit him square in the face with all he had.  I still get a whiff of skunk when my Astro and Dogtra collars get wet.  That skunk oil is terrible stuff!  Silver lining is that the Astro did let me know he was on point!

One thing to remember with this process is Do Not rinse your dog with water prior to bathing with the peroxide solution.  Water will cause the oils to migrate deeper into their coat and it reduces the effectiveness of the peroxide solution.

I've had to do this numerous times to my dogs, usually in the spring when I'm running them, only once when hunting them . My sense of smell is pretty bad so it's not too hard on me doing the process, but my wife has to give the okay for letting them into the house. I also soak the dogs collars in the stuff. 

bigjohnsd

OdorXit - Google it, available direct from the manufacturer or on Amazon. Safe for eyes etc, dog can even ingest it without issues.  I've had to use it multiple times, you mix the concentrate with water and apply it after washing the animal with soap and water, the enzymatic OdorXit kills the stink while it dries.  Also takes the stink out of your clothes or your car seat or the kennel etc.  

Fire Marshal Bill

Just recently had to use Brad's formula for skunk removal. It works!!! 

Spin

My record stands at 4 dogs all nailed when they rain into an adult with a batch of adolescent kits. Brie, Tobie and Boo all tangled with the younger skunks at close quarters at the edge of one of the ponds at my club where I took them for some exercise. Those three smelled pretty bad but Annie Belle, the "Warrior Princess" wound up in mortal combat with the  Stinko Oldster and after going a good 4 rounds in some thick black willows she came out smelling "All To Be Damned" with the now dead skunk and was determined to retrieve it to hand. She had killed it, it was hers and she had no intention of dropping it and leaving it. At least I had the pickup that time. I had a double header once in the UP where I had to drive back to the cabin in my Cherokee. After that I made sure I always had my anti skunk stink removal kit along.

Dogwood

I might add if your dog gets sprayed severely then bathe first with a grease cutting detergent (Dawn or regular dog shampoo) to remove as much of the scent residue as possible, THEN apply the skunk formula as above.  

greg jacobs

In the middle of the night a skunk came in the dog door. Dogs heard it and ran into the back porch and got blasted. They then tried to rub it off on the couch, carpet and finally jumped up on our bed and woke me up. Not a good night

NC Quailhunter

That is not a fun experience. My dog got blasted about three weeks ago. I used some dawn first and then this recipe and it got most of the smell out. I had to give multiple baths in one weekend to really get it out. I still have some residual smell but it is at least bearable. Not fun at all.

aje4

My pup was sprayed when we were out in South Dakota this year.  Bought some DeSkunk from Walmart.  Took the smell away in one application!  Well worth the $10!   I now carry it in my dog bag....