• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Jack L

To Kill a King

Jack L

Anyone watch that show?  Once you got passed the Benelli commercial aspect of the show it was  pretty interesting.  

Didn't know of the mistreatment of the Aleutians by the Russians and the USA, sad, but not surprising really.  Felt for the Chief telling their story.

That looked like crazy hunting, but maybe that's normal for you coastal guys.  To do that would definitely be an adventure.  

GSPpurist

I saw the show and the commercials were more than burdensome to say the least.  There was equal airtime between the show and commercials.  Was interesting, makes me want to go and get that off my bucket list.

Brdhntr47

Didn't see the show. Where were they hunting?  St. Paul?

Dennis

Jack L

Yes, they were hunting King Eiders on St. Paul Island in the Aleutians. 

Brdhntr47

Thanks Jack L.

I well try to find a rerun of the show. Were they hunting with Jeff Wasley or Charlie Summerville? 

GSP.  If you want to hunt St. Paul as a bucket list hunt do it soon, don't wait till your "Golden Years". St. Paul is not a walk in the park.

Dennis

sloth5202

I realize it was a glorified commercial for SBEIII but it would be nice if they explained the strategy. Maybe give you an overhead of decoys or their positioning to shore.  This would be an overall criticism of most hunting shows too I guess.

garyRI

I was stationed on a Coast Guard cutter from 69-71 out of Kodiak Alaska. We had fisheries patrol duty and I've been to the Pribalofs/St Paul (which is in the more or less middle of the Bering Sea and not a part of the Aleutian chain). Also been up and down the Aleutians. I was told the native population on the Pribalofs were brought there by the Russians as slaves to harvest fur seals.

I have to look for my pictures. We delivered mail to St Geoge once and the islanders came to us rowing boats with wood frames covered by walrus (I think) skins.

Randy S

I watched the show as well and had to wonder, how do you hit a duck with the boat bobbing up and down like a carnival ride?

Moomps
17 hours ago, Randy S said:

I watched the show as well and had to wonder, how do you hit a duck with the boat bobbing up and down like a carnival ride?

Between the tough shooting and the fact that they couldn't even get on the water on occasion, that would be quite the experience.  I think I'll need to keep that one on my dream vacation - probably never happen, but fun to think about.

It was also a commercial for Under Armor - everyone had on one of their jackets and/or hats.

DennisMcFeely

My friend Brdhntr47 has described his experience there to me and it sounded extremely dangerous and thrilling which is how the Benelli teasers looked.   I don't have that channel but I'm going to have to try and track down a way to see it all on film.

Irishwhistler

Aye Mates,

A friend and fellow game club member o' mine just got back from AK a few weeks ago.  He went up to cross a King Eider off o' his waterfowl bucket list.  A nice AK mixed bag on Kings and Harlequins.? Stunning birds!

DSC04853Resized.JPG

DSC04908Resized.JPG

Cheers, 

Irishwhistler☘️

bigdog MN

They were hunting with Charlie, included an interview with Russ while he was carving decoys. I enjoyed seeing them on TV. St Paul is an interesting place to say the least, the wind can be brutal. For someone not used to shooting from a bobbing boat (like myself) it is challanging. 

Brdhntr47
22 hours ago, bigdog MN said:

They were hunting with Charlie, included an interview with Russ while he was carving decoys. I enjoyed seeing them on TV. St Paul is an interesting place to say the least, the wind can be brutal. For someone not used to shooting from a bobbing boat (like myself) it is challanging. 

When did you hunt St. Paul? I was there in Jan. 2011. This thread got me to look at my shooting log. I was beginning to forget all the fun that a hunt for Kings can be!

Dennis

bigdog MN

I was there end on January 2012.  Was the year the ice came down and closed the harbor for a month or two. 

Brdhntr47
On 2/9/2017 at 9:48 AM, bigdog MN said:

When did you hunt St. Paul? I was there in Jan. 2011. This thread got me to look at my shooting log. I was beginning to forget all the fun that a hunt for Kings can be!

Dennis