FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
sschultz

Toyota 4Runner

sschultz

Anybody on this board using a 4Runner as a hunting rig. Looking at different  options.

terrym

Not personally but its one of the best SUV's on the market.

martyg

SS -

I have had a 4Runner for a decade or two now. Very, very solid vehicle that refuses to die. 250,000 miles o it. Very capable off-road. Lots of great memories. If you go to locations where 4WD is for real instead of the pussified "lifestyle" activity it is in the US, those who can afford to drive whatever they want - warlords, human traffickers, mine owners, corrupt government officials - drive diesel 4Runners and Land Cruisers.

My only grip is poor gas mileage and it is gutless. If I had one or the other it would be acceptable. My other driver - and what I take when it is nuking snow, black ice, etc is a GTI. It get great gas mileage and is a pocket rocket.

All hat being said, if I was limited to one vehicle I'd get an Outback. My wife owns one and it is a very good compromise.

Enjoy!

rolawson

They love gas. If you get one, get a V6 5 speed. Way more capable off road than the automatics.

Eric Rinehart

I purchased a use 2015 last fall, but I haven't put it into hunting mode yet.  My dog's health was such that I wasn't able to hunt him this year so I didn't make any preparations for crates, etc.    My plan is to get a 2 dog box that will fit in the back and have room for storage on the folded down rear seats.  Extended trips will see the use of my trailer.   So far, I love the vehicle.  I was coming from a Dodge 2500 crew cab, so this was quite a switch.  By spring, I hope to have a leveling lift and different rims on it.  Need a little more height and I hate looking like all the other white SR5's on the road. 

Mine is getting right at 20 mpg with mixed driving.  

Eric

Edited by Eric Rinehart
more info

DAG

I used to have a 4Runner. Took it all over colorado, rarely had to put it in 4 wheel drive and never got it stuck. Completely stock except for a set of BFG tires. Not great on gas and underpowered but never gave me a problem. Only thing i ever had to do was change the oil. Loved being able to roll down the rear window. 

I have a Lexus GX which is awesome. Slightly bigger than a 4Runner but has a V8. Extremely capable off-road. 

sschultz

Thanks guys I am looking at used options and have narrowed it down to the 4Runner, Jeep commander or  a 2007 or newer suburban. With 4 dogs I need the room.

Dakota Dogman

Anybody have one with the 22re?  That is what I'm wishing for ... my kids need to learn to drive a stick. I'd expect the gas mileage to be like the old 4x4 pickups?

God Bless,

tut

I have a 2010 model.  About 95K on it now.  Zero problems with anything thus far.  Done nothing but normal maintenance.  Average 21 MPG on the road.  I have two wire crates in the back and had to find a maker that offered one at I believe 33" long in order to have them in the back with the seats up.  Hence I have one 30" long crate and one 33" long.  Not sure who makes them.  Great 4 wheel drive mechanism, but you need to put it into 4 wheel drives as its not automatic,  I think it will climb a tree.  Very very comfortable to drive, heated seats and I got the leather upgrade even though I bought the SR 5 Model. Mine doesn't have the navigation system, but I have a Tom Tom hooked up that I use when I'm out of cell phone range (which I normally use for navigation).  

PS.  If the back seats were folded down I could easily get 4 dog cages in there and probably have a bit of room for stuff on top of the dog cages or in front of the dog cages.  If I needed additional storage I'd attach my Hitch Haul or put stuff on the roof. 

rideold

Great vehicles.  The 4th generation has less clearance than the other generations.  They still run decent tire sizes so a leveling kit is all most will need to get a few more inches away from the rocks.  My wife has an 08 4th generation and it's a great vehicle.  No complaints about the power from the 6 cyl and the 5 speed automatic.  I like my Sequoia better but it's beat to crap and has a ton of miles so I never worry about driving it through anything I want.  Her 4runner is nice so I don't drive it so it stays that way.  I'll probably inherit it  in 7-10 years when it hits 200k or so and the Sequoia dies (it has 240k on it now).  My biggest gripe about them isn't the gas mileage (which is pretty crummy really) but rather the price.  Get what you pay for in the end though.

I've heard anecdotal info that the 5th generation isn't put together as well as the older ones but I don't know how true that really is.  They do get bigger as each generation goes by.  I was parked next to a 5th generation that other day and it was pretty close to the size of my 1st generation Sequoia.

When I was shopping for my wife's 4runner I heard a lot of good said about the 1999 model of the 3rd generation.   

martyg

SS -

FYI... I puller the rear seats out of mine - it is a two seater now. If you have that lifestyle option it buys some room.

MSchafer

I've been considering this as an option for the sons daily driver and set up as a hunting/fishing rig, fix mounted rod racks, up top storage etc. When I hear gutless is that true of towing capacity of say a teardrop camper or suv trailer too. I was also looking for something that was old enough to not have  as much electronics to go wrong.

sschultz

Doing my research this is what I found. The 4Runner has mostly good reviews ( thanks guys). The commander almost as good and the Suberban I have owned in the past so no fears there. The gas Milage is best in the v-8 Jeep the sub and 4Runner are not to different. The Toys are most expensive with the sub next and jeep least. The toys hold there value. In my price range I would end up with a higher Milage 4Runner or sub than the Jeep.

The 4Runner is creeping up to the top of list.

martyg
3 hours ago, MSchafer said:

I've been considering this as an option for the sons daily driver and set up as a hunting/fishing rig, fix mounted rod racks, up top storage etc. When I hear gutless is that true of towing capacity of say a teardrop camper or suv trailer too. I was also looking for something that was old enough to not have  as much electronics to go wrong.

M - it probably depends on where you live and drive. We're outside of Durango, CO at 7,500'. Driving over passes a normally aspirated engine is challenged, which is why my little 2.0 liter turbo car rocks. If you are at low elevation / flatlands the 4Runner will do just fine.

WPG Gizmo

I currently have a 03 4th Gen 4Runner with the V8 all wheel drive it is a beast.  I fold down the rear seat and put 3 dogs in with no problem mine does not have the 3rd seat.

Gas mileage is not great but I get 19 on the highway as long as I dont get into the pedal but when you do you know you have a V8

Some recommendations if you get a 8 change out the exhaust to a Magnaflow cat back it comes out the side not straight back if you tow anything the heat from the straight back pipe will cause damage.  A coil lift is recommended if your going way off road it raises the front 3 inches and the rear 2 allowing larger tires.  There are some other thing I have done but they are the basic ones.

Things to look for they have a timing belt which should be changed at 90K not a cheap job.  Brake calipers tend to freeze up.  There is a dash replacement recall the dash tends to melt in the heat on some vehicles enough that they issued a replacement recall. 

I have seen a lot of Commanders for sale Jeep stopped making them a few years ago the Toyota have way more interior room then they do