browndrake

2017 UJ Fly Swap?

browndrake

Anybody else wanting to continue this fun tradition of Fly Swap?  If so, please chime in.

We definitely have been letting it creep farther and farther into the year, and will need to get things moving.  

(Work, school, and such things have been keeping me so busy for the last year that haven't taken hardly any time for some of these 'more important' things unless I obligated myself to them.  I look forward to the fly swap.  It gives my an 'excuse' to do something that I really like to do.

I will keep editing this post to add a running list of participants:

Participants            Flies received

browndrake                 X  (guess I cheated on this one)

Keith.                           X

D. Case.                      X

co_setter                     X

juneboy1                     X

Chubs                          X

shoot-straight               X

Big Pine                       X

Keith

I'm in! Need an incentive to get back in front of the vise.

D. Case

I would like to participate.

browndrake

Being that I brought it up, I'll volunteer to host it again this year.

Guess we should stick with the traditional UJ Fly Swap rules:

- Each tier will tie 1 fly for each participant, plus one extra - the extra fly will be donated to Brad for use how he sees fit (perhaps an auction) 

- Commitment deadline ASAP (this is when people need to commit to tying and declare what they are tying).

** we need to have a commitment deadline so everybody knows how many to tie.  We started late this year, should we give people until March 15 to join the swap this year?**

- Completion deadline - Flies should be completed and in the mail to me by April 30th. I'll PM the participants my mailing address.  Flies will be mailed to the tiers as soon as possible after they have all been received.

- Flies should be mailed in some sort of reusable container that is large enough to hold all the flies that are going back to you.  Put your real name, UJ name, and mailing address in or on the box so I know who to return it to.

-There is only one really firm rule on this:  Participants MUST include a postage paid return envelope to get your flies back to you. So, if you forget your postage paid return envelope, think of it like donating your flies to Brad's pile for auction purposes!

aaron aka browndrake

co_setter

I would like to participate - plan to do a version of Charlies Hopper.

juneboy1

in

Chubs

I'm in.

browndrake

Two weeks left to sign up for the Fly Swap!

We have 6 people signed up so far.... Lets see if a few  more will join us.  The more the merrier.

aaron

shoot-straight

In- will have to do a streamer of some kind of that's ok. Maybe just a good ole bead head wooly bugger or clouser. Kinda gave up on tying  fw stuff. Sw is much easier on the eyes! 

brett

browndrake

One more week to join the fun!

browndrake

Just a few more days to join the Fly Swap!

Jump on board.

Big Pine

I'm game.

Working on some steelhead nymphs for a good buddy in the UP, so I'll probably send you all some Mega Princes. Maybe one of my one concoctions instead. We'll see what the day brings. 

browndrake

Sounds great!

Today is March 15....the date set for entry deadline.    Thanks to all who have joined the fly swap.  This is the start of my 3rd year here at UJ and is my 3rd swap.  Has always been fun and a great opportunity to learn new patterns. (has also forced me to get out the vise and indulge in something that I really enjoy.)

I'll repost the rules here just for a reminder:

- Each tier will tie 1 fly for each participant, plus one extra - the extra fly will be donated to Brad for use how he sees fit (perhaps at his auction)  (that means 8 flies from each of us)

- Completion deadline - Flies should be completed and in the mail to me by April 30th. I'll PM the participants my mailing address.  Flies will be mailed to the tiers as soon as possible after they have all been received.

- Flies should be mailed in some sort of reusable container that is large enough to hold all the flies that are going back to you.  Put your real name, UJ name, and mailing address in or on the box so I know who to return it to.

-There is only one really firm rule on this:  Participants MUST include a postage paid return envelope to get your flies back to you. So, if you forget your postage paid return envelope, think of it like donating your flies to Brad's pile for auction purposes!

It is also nice if you label your flies, so that each participant will know from whom they are getting the flies.

Thanks everybody for making this possible.

Aaron

aka

browndrake

browndrake

Hey everybody, just a reminder that time is going by quickly.

Easter marks the two week mark before deadline.  I'll pm all participants my address Sunday.

The 30th falls on Sunday, just like tax day this year...so we will follow suit and bump mail off deadline to Monday, May 1.

D. Case

Aaron, Thank you for hosting the swap again this year. I'll send a couple patterns for the swap. They will be in the mail tomorrow. Dave Case

emerging caddis.jpg

stone fly.jpg