FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Randy S

Outdoor Show Boycots Utah

Randy S

Patagonia and others are boycoting the Outdoor Retailer Show in Salt Lake City over public lands politics.

Good for all of us!

Why don't I know how to post a link?

Remo

Google " Outdoor Retailer Show Boycott Salt Lake City ". I'd post it but the articles might have a political flavor. The crux is that outdoor retailers expect support for public lands from the states where they do business. Seems fair to me.

edit: here's the link to the ad CO ran in Utah newspapers.

https://twitter.com/ConservationCO/status/832253163277266944/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Reeba

I like that the outdoor retailers are starting to speak up on behalf of public lands.  One of the Minnesota radio outdoor talk shows was just talking about how much money goes to the state form taxes generated by outdoor retailers.

WyomingArt

A fast way to get the attention of bureaucracy is to speak the language of money. Loosing a big trade show gets their attention. 

As I understand it the cycling associations announced when their Interbike, a retail trade show, left Las Vegas, Utah wasn't considered due to the state's stance on public lands.

Hope this is neutral enough to pass the " no politics" test.

martyg

I applaud what is going on. If we don't protect wild places the very venue where this gear is intended to be used (but often isn't due to aspirational consumers) then sales could be impacted. As an industry, it is also the right thing to do.

The reality is that the subject is far more nuanced than anyone is aware of. OR stretches SLC to the max as far as moving people, hotel rooms, food service, etc. Add to that OR is a bit of a dinosaur, an evolving buy / sell cycle, and that OR is run buy a for-profit entity when our brothers on the ski side have an industry owned trade show and you have an environment that doesn't just invite change, but demands it.

OceanRoamer

I understand Oregon is making a bid on hosting.

martyg
13 hours ago, OceanRoamer said:

I understand Oregon is making a bid on hosting.

Probably won't be a contender. Too far West. OR is very much a strong regional show with East Coast attendance dropping significantly in years. Portland will just exasperate that, and hotels are stupid expensive in Portland. The one wildcard will be the vendors in Portland. If they really push it may happen, but that location is far from ideal.

A much more important question is if the OR show is needed anymore.

OceanRoamer
7 hours ago, martyg said:

Probably won't be a contender. Too far West. OR is very much a strong regional show with East Coast attendance dropping significantly in years. Portland will just exasperate that, and hotels are stupid expensive in Portland. The one wildcard will be the vendors in Portland. If they really push it may happen, but that location is far from ideal.

A much more important question is if the OR show is needed anymore.

Good point! Colorado makes sense from an air hub perspective. Cannabis friendly too...if that's important. ?

Brad Eden
On 2/18/2017 at 9:37 PM, Randy S said:

Why don't I know how to post a link?

Dont know...Copy the URL of the website you want to link to from top of your browser and paste it into a Reply here...or click that little link graphic in the bar at top of Reply field, paste in that copied URL, add a title and click insert into post.

OceanRoamer
On 3/2/2017 at 6:27 PM, OceanRoamer said:

Good point! Colorado makes sense from an air hub perspective. Cannabis friendly too...if that's important. ?

Nailed it!

Dave in Maine

Something similar happened with the PA Outdoor show in 2013, when (post-Sandy Hook) the exhibition company that ran it wanted to exclude modern sporting rifles.  Basically, the withdrawal of exhibitors almost killed the show.  Exhibition company got the message