• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Grifish

Our quarry is getting sneaky

Grifish

Up on the rooftop plop plop plop....

IMG_0283.JPG

bmeador

Geese?????  Never seen that before!

Rick Hall

A similar scene once inspired my Sweet Chereaux's uncle Franklin to put a nest box on his boat house - and wish he hadn't.

Curt

That's a first for me waterfowl on the roof?  One time had a flock of wild turkeys perched on my roof but never waterfowl.

Clueless1

They make shotguns for that.....

charlo slim
27 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

They make shotguns for that.....

Yes. The optimal strategy would be to shift shooting position 25 degrees left and elevate 30' or so, then shoot just a shade high.  Classic freezer shot there.  Still might end up with a leaky roof though.

I've seen large Canada geese not only perch on roofs but nest there as well -- wherever they can find a flat enough spot and scrape together enough leaves or pine needles to make something of a nest bowl. They are very good a picking spots that are safe from ground predators.  Cabin owners often are not impressed with the ensuing ruckus at all hours.

Grifish

I think they were chased up there by a new shopping center being installed.  We were getting gas and I asked my wife to take the pic.  First time that I've ever seen geese on a pitched roof- turkeys yep-never greaters.

irish Eyes

When I lived on Long Island and fished the connectiquot (sp) River I often saw geese sitting on roof tops. These same geese would eat the eyes out of any trout you left in the grass. Maybe they were crossed with vultures .

dogrunner

Geese sit on the building I work in all the time, sometime on the 12th floor.  

Rick Hall
On 2/22/2017 at 10:30 AM, Rick Hall said:

A similar scene once inspired my Sweet Chereaux's uncle Franklin to put a nest box on his boat house - and wish he hadn't.

Though the box has long since been removed to discourage rust encouraging litter on the boat house's tin roof, the Canadas have continued to build there annually, and this morning I happened by just in time to be alerted by calling parents and watch six wee ones take their turns standing on the edge of the roof and leaping to join the parents in the lake below.  Have been lucky enough to see wood ducks make that leap from a dead cypress, a live oak and a couple of boxes over the years, but it was a first for geese.

Cooter Brown
On 4/25/2017 at 6:58 PM, Rick Hall said:

Though the box has long since been removed to discourage rust encouraging litter on the boat house's tin roof, the Canadas have continued to build there annually, and this morning I happened by just in time to be alerted by calling parents and watch six wee ones take their turns standing on the edge of the roof and leaping to join the parents in the lake below.  Have been lucky enough to see wood ducks make that leap from a dead cypress, a live oak and a couple of boxes over the years, but it was a first for geese.

That's really cool, Rick, especially seeing wood ducks do that.

It tells me you get to spend an enviable amount of time in nice places.

Birdcountry70

Near the small western Montana town where I grew up the geese often nest in the trees using old osprey nests at the Lee Metcalf wildlife refuge.  

43218-Geese_in_Tree2.jpg

43218-Geese_in_Tree1.jpg

Rick Hall

"Re-purposing" at it's finest.

Rick Hall
9 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

That's really cool, Rick, especially seeing wood ducks do that.

It tells me you get to spend an enviable amount of time in nice places.

No question, I've been blessed..

charlo slim
10 hours ago, Birdcountry70 said:

Near the small western Montana town where I grew up the geese often nest in the trees using old osprey nests at the Lee Metcalf wildlife refuge.

Yep.  John Craighead and his crew spent some time documenting that situation in both the Bitterroot and the Flathead/Mission Valleys back in the '60's, patricularly the question of possible gosling mortality during the initial leap from elevated nest sites.  Turned out that the fluffy little guys seemed to reach terminal velocity very quickly, so that a fall of 50 or 60 feet was not really much more severe than from 5 or 6 feet.  The only related mortality they found, IIRC, was one gosling that happened to land on a slender beaver-cut willow stob and was shish-kabobbed.  Most of them just bounced, rolled, and trundled off following Ma and Pa.  I've seen some rather spectacular battles between ospreys and geese over a mutually coveted nest site (the geese win - tough SOB's).

Over on the Snake, Palouse, and Columbia Rivers in Washington, some of the geese nest on narrow  cliff ledges many feet above more ledges, talus slopes, and finally the water.  Talk about a bumpy start in life!

3 hours ago, Rick Hall said:

"Re-purposing" at it's finest.

Absolutely.  But WAIT!!  It can get even better!  A friend was flying eagle nest surveys in western MT.  On the first survey, they could glimpse both an eagle and a goose on a nest. Initial tentative interpretation -- eagle has killed the goose and is feeding it to eaglets (or whatever they are called).  But no eaglets present on second survey several weeks later.  They finally had to go back and climb the tree, to find...... a hatched goose nest atop a "melted down" eagle carcass.  I guess proper nesting material is where ya' find it?