terrym

Range Rovers

Chukarman
On 3/18/2017 at 3:58 PM, phonefly said:

My friendly neighborhood garage told me that if I buy one - "don't bring it here for service- they are junk with a remake 1987 Buick aluminum block engine."

Most I see are on a lease and gone at the end for something else.

That Buick Aluminum 215 CI V8 engine is actually a pretty  good engine. It was too expensive for Buick to build and was sold to Rover. Buick replaced it with the Iron V6 (the same engine Jeep used from '66 through '71). I once owned a '78 Buick Regal with A 3.8L turbocharged V6. Buick is still powering cars with V6 engines.

Here is a Jeep version of that cool old engine from a '69 CJ5...

BuickV6_DS.jpeg

Rockdoc

I’d tend to walk away from any off-road machine with an aluminum block engine, or worse yet an iron block engine with aluminum heads. My one complaint with aluminum block engines or heads (but it’s a big complaint!) is that, compared to cast iron engines, they’re very intolerant of over-heating situations and will warp and/or crack a head quickly when over-heated. I want my off-road machines to be rugged and abuse-tolerant under all driving conditions. That said, my daily driver, a 2005 Dodge Caravan, has an aluminum head and 215K on it, but I've never allowed it to over-heat. I'm also really glad that my 33' RV's 460 V8 engine has cast iron heads.

Steve