Sign in to follow this  
gunsrus

Car Floor Jack

gunsrus

Looking for recommendations . Just something to change out winter to summer . Not looking for expensive but reasonable and quality . 

topdog1961

I would check out Harbor Freight for best price generic unit. That's what I did many many years ago and it's still going strong for occasional use. 

Also if you can wait for Black Friday these are sometimes drastically discounted. 

polecat

Harbor freight. they have a decent and always a 20% coupon somewhere.

Virgil Kane

Got mine at Sears hardware when they were closing the store by me about 12 years ago, paid 1/2 price for it.  Don't know how I got along without it all those years.  Mines and older 4 ton, the newer ones are different and don't get good ratings.

Virgil

Randy S

Did a lot of research a couple years ago when I bought a 2-ton at Blaines and it wouldn't lift one wheel of wife's Forester.

Seems when foreign made jacks were imported there was no verification of hydraulic lift, so they could put any rating on a jack they wanted. Domestic manufacturers tried to get regulations but were refused. So in order to remain competitive our domestic man. put false ratings on their's too. (A little government intervention here would have been nice.)

Recommendations are to buy an old jack, they were workhorses, modern jacks are junk. 

Birdcountry70

I just went to the garage to look at mine, the brand is performance tool, its a 3-ton and says made in China.  No problems after 6 or 7 years, It easily lifts the entire front end of our Chevy Suburban when I put it on jack stands to get more room while changing the oil.  Think I paid $129 for it, I see them on line for $165 free freight.  Sears has a 4-ton for $183 shipped (it's probabaly made in China also).

Kansas Bound

I am becoming a fan of the aluminum jacks.  They are so much lighter.

MilRob

Just please use stands and don't rely on the hydraulic jack once the vehicle is lifted if any part of your body is going under the vehicle.    Unfortunely not long ago went on a medical where he did not use them and the hydraulic jack failed.   He didn't make it.   

gunsrus

Another question , I have an older all steel one that worked fine . I decided to use it after having sat for 7-8 years and the grease was fluid , almost like oil . Not sure if filling the grease again will make it work , reliable and safe . Are there seals I should be concerned with ? OR bite the bullet and buy new . 

MSchafer

seems to be one at every garage or estate sale  I go to, we have a deal between 4 of us we have 1 each of most large items the one who uses it last houses it until the next guy needs it ladders,car top carrier, hitch extender etc. haven't had any trouble "loosing" anything yet but we are pretty close friends.

Chukarman

I like the aluminum floor jacks. A few simple cautions... 1.) get a jack that is designated for loads 2X what you think you will need, and 2.) do a 'leak down' test. Jack up a significant load and leave it elevated overnight. Some jacks will slowly leak down under a load. This is never a good thing, 3.) get a sturdy set of jack stands, as you should never rely on the jack to hold a load while you are under your vehicle.

Birdcountry70
On 2/27/2017 at 2:52 PM, gunsrus said:

Another question , I have an older all steel one that worked fine . I decided to use it after having sat for 7-8 years and the grease was fluid , almost like oil . Not sure if filling the grease again will make it work , reliable and safe . Are there seals I should be concerned with ? OR bite the bullet and buy new . 

Yes they are normally filled with hydraulic fluid sold as "hydraulic jack oil" . There should be a filler plug, I'd top it off and see if it helps. If it ran low you may have to raise /lower it repeatedly to purge air. If it works I wouldn't be concerned about it failing since I would never go under a vehicle on a jack anyway. I have four good Jack stands and use them ALWAYS. 

Edited by Birdcountry70
More

garyRI

I have an aluminum Harbor Freight model. Had it for two years & wish I would have got it sooner.

erik meade

I'm just jumping in to echo the jack stands comments

Use the darn jack stands.   Every time.   Always.  

bobman
On 2/28/2017 at 7:24 PM, Birdcountry70 said:

Yes they are normally filled with hydraulic fluid sold as "hydraulic jack oil" . There should be a filler plug, I'd top it off and see if it helps. If it ran low you may have to raise /lower it repeatedly to purge air. If it works I wouldn't be concerned about it failing since I would never go under a vehicle on a jack anyway. I have four good Jack stands and use them ALWAYS. 

yep they have hydraulic oil in them not grease