2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Pudgy gopher

go pro video sharing

Pudgy gopher

Anybody playing with go pros? I am wondering what app you are using to share your vidoes and what app you are using to edit your videos?  I am just getting started with this type of camera. there is alot of potential with the type of action shots that can be captured.

Scar

I'm in my second season of filming my hunting.  I use GoPro Studio to edit my videos and export them to various quality settings depending on my intended use.  I mostly export to the YouTube setting offered by Studio as I publish and share my videos using YouTube.  I also use the higher 1080p export setting for short videos I intend to publish using Instagram as that app allows for higher resolution videos (YouTube has started supporting 1080p also).  There are better video editors available but I've thus far found Studio to be adequate for my needs.

If you don't own a stand-alone hard drive you will want to buy one.  Once you start working with video storage space disappears quickly.  

I have REALLY enjoyed filming my hunts.  It has added a fascinating new element to my hunting.  Plus instead of telling my grandsons about those awesome bird dogs I used to hunt I will be able to show them.  

I have been using a GoPro Session 5 but am going to add another camera this summer.  I'm looking at the Garmin VIRB or a refurbished GoPro HERO4.  I am also planning to buy a wearable gimbal as the most frequent complaint I get about my videos is the choppiness associated with walking/running while wearing the camera.

dgfavor

I use a Hero 3+ silver mounted in either a handheld Feiyu Tech 3 axis gimbal or the Feiyu Tech Wearable 3 axis gimbal.  I use Photoshop Premier for video editing.  Works pretty slick for the most part.  Best mode IMO is shooting narrow FOV 1080p, 60fps. for capturing decently crisp birds flushing.  I use Vimeo for video hosting as it causes much less degradation IMO than YouTube.

Did this one bouncing around on my horse with handheld gimbal:

This one with left shoulder mount wearable:

This with the wearable gimbal mounted to a handheld that mounts on a vest strap mount to shoot either body mount or handheld xD

Scar
12 hours ago, dgfavor said:

I use a Hero 3+ silver mounted in either a handheld Feiyu Tech 3 axis gimbal or the Feiyu Tech Wearable 3 axis gimbal.  I use Photoshop Premier for video editing.  Works pretty slick for the most part.  Best mode IMO is shooting narrow FOV 1080p, 60fps. for capturing decently crisp birds flushing.  I use Vimeo for video hosting as it causes much less degradation IMO than YouTube.

Those are super nice!  The horseback video is particularly well done.  Are those sharptail or sage grouse in the first video?  They seem huge to me.

I've been considering moving to Vimeo.  The playback on your videos was smooth despite the noticeably higher resolution.  

Where are you getting your music.  I have been using copyright free mp3's and I don't have much selection.  I would much prefer to use tracks I enjoy as the soundtrack for my videos and since they really don't have any commercial use I can't imagine anybody is going to be overly concerned about infringement.  Any tips on where to get music?

I'm definitely getting a gimbal.  The production value is noticeably better with video shot off a gimbal.  I like the shots I get with my head mounted camera as compared to a shoulder or chest mount because I can track the birds and see the shot.  I think I'll mount a gimbal on a ski helmet and look like a goober while I'm shooting video :)  

I've also been playing with a drone but the limited flight time is really a bar to getting actual hunting footage.

snapt

Imovie is pretty user friendly for basic editing if you're a Mac person. +1 for Vimeo, if for no other reason they don't ding you for music copyrights for non commercial stuff.

Scar

Just received a Evo 3 GP wearable gimbal and am trying to figure out some mounts.  Any suggestions?

dgfavor

I use this to mount my wearable gimbal to the strap on my bird vest - sometimes I put it on top of my shoulder, other times front of chest:

https://www.polarprofilters.com/products/goprobackpackmount

GoPro_Hero5_BackPack_Mount_Accessory_102

I usually use this grip https://www.bestbuy.com/site/polarpro-progrip-floating-hand-grip-black-blue/4248025.p?skuId=4248025 with the gimbal mounted to it then clip the handheld into the strap mount like pictured below.

I use it like this alot mounted to handheld so can use as both wearable then snap it off for handheld use:

PolarPro_Karma_Grip_BackPack_mount_1024x

Did it like this riding horses a time or two but really hurts my pride:

dgfavor

Any tips on where to get music?

I used to use Rhapsody but now I just generally buy it off Amazon digital music.  I don't get copyright problems uploading to Vimeo.  Alot of times I like to use a song that is well recognized but just use the music so if you search for Karaoke versions of a song you like you can usually just find the music, no voice.  Also I will search for instrumental/acoustic covers of songs I like.  Usually .99 a song I think on Amazon.  You can find some cool orchestral covers of some pretty heavy, obnoxious  music that actually sounds pretty pleasing when performed by an orchestra.

Scar

Been playing with the Evo Gimbal and I really like it.  The slower pan means I occasionally miss a bird flushing but the smoother video makes it worth it.  I wore it on a headband mount last year with a ball cap.  I didn't really like that setup so I bought a climbing helmet and a Stuntman shoulder mount to try this fall.  I'm going to feel super nerdy in the helmet so I may use it mostly in solo hunts.  The shoulder mount seems like it might work but I'll have to see how well hit shows the gun tracking the bird and the shot.

43128712644_4748de219d_c.jpg

43846096781_3c09e24823_c.jpg