• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
mister grouse

Brutal current Texas panhandle Fires effects on quail?

mister grouse

News claiming 200,000 acres burned this week .  Video of fires would give the appearance  of total destruction of all plant life in its path.  Wondering what some you Texas -Oklahoma quail experts think this means for any birds that somehow escaped this devastation. I know some fire is good for quail. But this fire season looks way beyond controlled burn kind of management fires.  

Tim Frazier

Fire is rarely bad for wildlife but there are times when because of man made alterations fires burn hotter than they normally wood and are not beneficial.  Still, if I were a betting man I would say they will benefit.  Fires in the west are the only saving grace for Mule Deer.

VizslavsBird

It is most dependent on the moisture this spring and early summer IMHO.  I have seen some 50,000 acre fires that take a couple of years to 'heal' and then the wildlife seems to bloom back. 

4 lives lost as of sundown yesterday.  Livestock losses too.  Lots of folks still fighting the fire, may the Lord watch over them.  Smoke was so thick in Lubbock (100+ miles away) it still burned our eyes.

mister grouse

i asked the question because this fire was far worse than a typical grass fire from what I could see and read.  

Hope for the best for folks out there and condolences to the families of those young folks who were killed (apparently while trying to save their livestock?).

Scar

One of the bigger fires burned the eastern half of Beaver County, Oklahoma where I live.  The destruction is beyond my ability to describe with words.  Fortunately most of the destruction was property and few lives were lost.  To my knowledge none of the residents of Beaver County lost their homes.

Here's some pictures.  

32980782180_5d1c7ffd0e_z.jpg

This photograph shows the fire surrounding the home and barns of a friend.  He and his wife have a daughter who attends 4th grade with my youngest.  She's spent several overnights in the home located in the right/center of the picture.  The fire burnt literally right up to the front door but didn't destroy the home or outbuildings.  The man who owns this home took this picture.  He told me that he imagined at the time that this must be how hell looks.

32520235524_0a27477f62_z.jpg

This photograph shows my brother standing beside his pickup as he tries to slow the fire to allow others to move cattle out of the fire's path.  This picture has been published online with this article in one of the State newspapers.

I know men who have spent the last two days driving their burnt pastures shooting their half-dead burnt cattle.  These are the same cattle they rely upon to provide for their families.  The fires are still burning and unless we get some moisture relief we could see a repeat of the destruction again in the coming week.  The local volunteer fire departments are healing up and repairing vehicles in anticipation of another fight soon.

The quail will survive perhaps even prosper from the burning. Others, not so much.

bmeador

Unreal.  Our news has no reports at all on this. Prayers for your great community.

tut
On 3/10/2017 at 4:00 PM, Scar said:

One of the bigger fires burned the eastern half of Beaver County, Oklahoma where I live.  The destruction is beyond my ability to describe with words.  Fortunately most of the destruction was property and few lives were lost.  To my knowledge none of the residents of Beaver County lost their homes.

Here's some pictures.  

This photograph shows the fire surrounding the home and barns of a friend.  He and his wife have a daughter who attends 4th grade with my youngest.  She's spent several overnights in the home located in the right/center of the picture.  The fire burnt literally right up to the front door but didn't destroy the home or outbuildings.  The man who owns this home took this picture.  He told me that he imagined at the time that this must be how hell looks.

This photograph shows my brother standing beside his pickup as he tries to slow the fire to allow others to move cattle out of the fire's path.  This picture has been published online with this article in one of the State newspapers.

I know men who have spent the last two days driving their burnt pastures shooting their half-dead burnt cattle.  These are the same cattle they rely upon to provide for their families.  The fires are still burning and unless we get some moisture relief we could see a repeat of the destruction again in the coming week.  The local volunteer fire departments are healing up and repairing vehicles in anticipation of another fight soon.

The quail will survive perhaps even prosper from the burning. Others, not so much.

That's just awful.  Hope rain comes soon and everyone stays safe and no more lives are impacted. 

UplandSasquatch

Stay safe down there.  That's a lot of devastation by fire.

Scar

Someone once told me, "with hardship comes opportunity."

quailguy
On 3/10/2017 at 3:00 PM, Scar said:

Here's some pictures.  

My sympathies to you and your relatives and friends. That (driving around and shooting your half burned up but alive cattle) is one helluva hard thing to have to do. I pray there is a silver lining in there somewhere, although not visible from where y'all now stand.

quailguy

In Texas anyway, given that the burned landscape gets some decent rain this year and next, there will be quail. Numbers would be anyone's guess IMHO. Depends on a number of factors.

dogrunner

I seen some pics of all the dead cattle, very sad, plus all the devastation of the ranchers things. 

quailguy

The fires in Kansas:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/24/kansas-cattle-ranchers-struggle-to-recover-from-devastating-prairie-fires.html

The wildfires in Kansas were the largest in the state’s history, with more than 651,000 acres destroyed in total. Large overgrowth combined with a long stretch without rain plus high late-winter temperatures led to much of the terrain becoming a tinder box that quickly became uncontrollable.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ashland,+KS+67831/@37.3465033,-100.2425494,8z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x87a636fd9ef0ac2b:0xc4678a73a1dddd6b!8m2!3d37.1887667!4d-99.7654724

National Fire Incident Center Map

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/map/5138/9/61933/

bmeador

WOW!  Thanks for the link to the incident map.  We were just out there in Jan. and some of the lands we were on burned.  I hope the rains this week help turn the landscapes green.

BIGSP

Looks like almost the entire area of the Starbuck Fire received and is receiving large amounts of rain today and more on the way for tomorrow.  May be a dumb question but how fast can the habitat rebound?  Will there be quail on the areas that burned come next fall if they receive enough moisture and don't have a drought this summer?  Any insights would be greatly appreciated.