• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
mister grouse

Brutal current Texas panhandle Fires effects on quail?

charlo slim

Given the dreadful negative emotional and financial impacts of the "big burn" on many good and very hard-working people, it almost seems wrong to even think about any likely positive outcomes from the situation.  I wish those folks strength to carry on. Some local support efforts hereabouts involve supplying and transporting forage for surviving livestock.

Still, the long-term positive effects  will be substantial, IMO.  Much of that country was being invaded by eastern red cedar, with tens if not hundreds of thousands of acres degraded to conditions of near zero habitat value to quail and many other wildlife species (to livestock also, come to think of it).  The volatiles in eastern red cedar cause it to almost literally "blow up" in burns, and it does not sucker back after fire like some woody plants.  In fact, long term fire suppression seems to be a primary factor in the invasion.  And periodic controlled burns appear to be among the most feasible methods for long-term control -- so..... maybe the Indians had it right to begin with? 

Much of the affected region got another nice rain overnight -- more good news there.

charlo slim

Are any of you TX, KS, or OK folks hearing or seeing anything regarding the current situation in the burned areas?  I had hoped to swing up through there on our return trip OK to MT, but couldn't quite make it happen.  At least It seemed as if spring moisture was pretty decent post-fire?  Lots of new fences (and bank loans) I'd imagine.

Scar

I've hunted burned and unburned pastures this winter.  The burned pastures I've hunted have had larger covey sizes and more coveys per hour than the acres that didn't burn.  The cover is noticeably thinner and the birds move on the dogs considerably but other than those concerns I think you can find plenty of birds in the areas that burned.

I wish they would burn some parts of the public areas I hunt.  I think it would help.