• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
MSchafer

New to dehydrating

MSchafer

A friend of mine (his wife) had to have a fancy Dehydrator but never used it so I bought it. Planning to make my own meals for camping, my Elk hunt, raft trips..?

Should also work out well for the garden items that produce to fast to eat.

I'm sure there is a learning curve any suggestions would be welcome or favorite combinations.

I also found a place that sells the bags like a mountain house comes in and another that has the single serve size of every sauce and condiment know to man but any suggested sites for supplies or recipes would be great.

MS

dogrunner

I like this kind of seasoning. Usually depending on the size of meat when I make jerky it can take 3-4 hrs. I have also did birds they take less time. 

image.jpg

MSchafer

I sell Hi-mountain in the shop lots of people love it, they all seem about the same to me but I  use it with goose breast for jerky. I have always done jerky in the smoker but this is an option with the dehydrator now.

I was mainly trying to get away from Wise or Mountain House type meals on the river, but just having the option of adding veggies or meat to Top Roman will be a plus.

I'm also hooked on "overnight oats" so adding dehydrated fruit will be a bonus.

Ben Hong

I love jerky and other dried foodstuffs, but I never invested any money in a dehydrater. What I have been using most of my life is a regular oven at 180-200F, sometimes with the oven door wedged open a sliver to control excess humidity.

dogrunner

I have tried that way didn't care for it. 

Hub

There is website called BWCA.com that has a cooking forum for canoe campers.  There is tons of info and idea on dehydrating meals.  You can pretty well dehydrate anything.  Cook up your favorite rice or pasta meals and dry then down.  Hamburger, green peppars, onion, chili, hot peppars.  I buy a lot of ultra cheap Lipton Knorr sides and dress them up with dehydrated meat and veggies etc.  Cheaper and better tasting than Mountain House.  Knorr dirty rice with andouille sausage, peppers and onions added is a favorite.

MSchafer

Thanks Hub, that's one  I hadn't heard of yet looks like good information 

watermen

I have one of Cabelas multi tray,  and while I don't make my own meals, it is handy for garden and orchard preserving.  On the years when the fruit hits, I dehydrate bushels of apples and peaches for the kids to snack on.  I still freeze them in a sealed bag to keep for long periods.  We also go to blueberry self picks and get several gallons to dehydrate.  When you buy a bag of dehydrated fruit at the store, it's easy to see how the thing pays for itself quickly.  The small round one's are slow and a pain.  You can process enough to make it worth your time with a big unit.

watermen

One thing I haven't done is make energy bars for the dogs, which might be my next project with it.

Kansas Bound
29 minutes ago, watermen said:

One thing I haven't done is make energy bars for the dogs, which might be my next project with it.

Do you have a good recipe?  I make a lot of dog treats with my dehydrator.  The Chinese stuff was scaring me.  Now I know what I feed my dogs for treats

watermen

No but I'd appreciate any sharing, or suggestions.

Kansas Bound
1 minute ago, watermen said:

No but I'd appreciate any sharing, or suggestions.

Currently I just make jerky, half for me and half for the boys.

MSchafer

Mine is a 9 tray Excalibur with rear fan it gets lots of good reviews. I also received a juicer for christmas (because the wife wanted one) the dogs like the pulp from certain veggies, I haven't had it long enough to research what combinations are good for dogs but multiple sites have cracker recipes, they also get bone broth on their food a few times a week.

I'm sure there is a combination of these and other ingredients that would make a good power bar for dogs, I did find a good one for hunters on the sthealthyhunter.com site but haven't made them yet it's pretty high calorie so might not be good to have around when I'm still spending my days rehabbing the knee surgery inside.

watermen

Don't make jerky in dehydrator personally, I use smoker.  I have  made some dried salmon bellies for the dogs with nothing on it.  I have heard people use a pemmican style mix to make dog treats and bars and then dry it.  I don't know what you would use for filler and binding agent?

Hub

I have a smoker as well as a dehydrator.  I've made Jerky in both.  It's hard to argue with smoked meat, but I like that my dehydrator has a digital timer and thermostat setting and its way easier making ground Jerky on a dehyrdator tray.  I can make it after work and set it up and go to bed.  Add a little liquid smoke to the meat if you like smokiness.  For a while there I was grinding a lot of the pheasants I shot and turning them into jerky.  As mentioned the Hi-Mountain jerky mixes are pretty good.