• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
MSchafer

New to dehydrating

dogrunner

Did some jerky yesterday. About 4 hours just a small batch. 

image.jpg

dogrunner

Did another batch. Everyone said it taste great. Original seasoning with Worcester    

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

MSchafer

I've been dehydrating everything it takes to make a backpack meal, and then rehydrating it, so its a learning experience but overall i like the results. fruit "leather" is a big hit with the kids and is very easy. 

watermen

A guy gave me some wild turkey jerky this weekend,  some of the best jerky I've ever had. 

MSchafer

I used goose breast a few times, everyone likes it. another guy told me ground squirrel works well but i'll take his word on that one for now.

uplandave

I have the 9 tray one that Cabelas sells and really like it. I have changed my way of thinking when it comes to Jerky.

At first I thought you should only make it with cut strips of meat but after coming across a ground meat jerky recipe, I purchased a jerky gun and will never go back. Everyone in the family loves it. Good luck. Dave 

dogrunner

Hmm I have a jerky gun and have made numerous batches with it and ground meat. I did not like it as much because it always fell apart and was crumbly. 

MSchafer
4 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Hmm I have a jerky gun and have made numerous batches with it and ground meat. I did not like it as much because it always fell apart and was crumbly. 

not sure why that would be but I have never had it happen. I use the tube that shapes it like thick taffy not the slim jim shape?

Hub
19 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Sounds like you maybe dried it too much.  When using ground meat and a jerky gun it takes a lot less time to dry and whole muscle jerky.

dogrunner

Actually it took longer this time. I did both kinds at once and the ground took about a hour longer.  What I don't like about ground meat is it seems greasy    I used a 90/10 mix. 

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

dogrunner

So far everyone that has had my ground meat jerky really likes it. While out turkey hunting last weekend I even put some out for the Sasquatch he never showed up. 

IMG_0727.JPG

MSchafer

I have a batch from an  eye of round in Jerkey Gold marinade right now waiting for my son to get home and help me, but half (5lbs total) is going in the smoker and the other in the dehydrator, we'll see which we like better

MSchafer

I have now made a batch of sliced meat and ground meat with half in the smoker and the other in the dehydrator and all the family taste testers prefer the extra flavor from the smoker, but the dehydrator batches are gone also!! I do highly recommend the Jerkey Gold for marinating, I also put Reload Rub on it for extra zing.

Kansas Bound

Spent the day making some dog treats. I might even sneak a few for myself

IMG_20171001_094337_904.jpg

Spin

As yet I've never made "Ham Jerky" but a friend I hunted with's brother did and we ate a few pounds of it hunting pheasants on a trip to in Iowa.

Delicious, You can bet I am going to whip some up myself.

https://www.google.com/search?q=recipes+for+Making+Ham+Jerky+from+cured+ham&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiC7JHzwdDWAhXpiFQKHbhpC1sQvwUIJSgA&biw=1249&bih=574