bamboozler

Pros and Cons of a Golf Cart for SC

bamboozler

What should one consider when looking for a golf cart to get around sporting clays courses?  What should one avoid?  

For those that have one, how about posting up a pic and telling us about it?

P.S. I understand the shortcomings of a golf cart vs. a UTV.  That's an argument for another day, let's limit this discussion to golf carts please.

25/06

It really depends on what amount of sporting clays you shoot.

If you only attend 1 day shoot or simply shoot practice and are in good health a push cart may be all you need.

If you shoot every weekend with a partner and shoot multi event multi day tournaments a cart is the way to go.

I ended up with a 2004 EZGO clays car second hand that took me about 3 years to decide to get.... If it was gone tomorrow it would take me about 3 minutes to decide to replace... The cart has a little larger tires with matching gears and clutch work to maintain power... The larger tires are not simply for looks, they allow better ground clearance and a smoother ride on rough temporary courses and additional traction.  Cart has 2 gun racks by rugged gear which point guns straight up for safety and it is an NSCA rule....

If you go to large multi day shoots with a squad of friends the cart allows you to travel to car or clubhouse between events, Bathroom breaks are only a couple minutes away, someone ALWAYS forgets something about 1/2 way from car to course.... On a large tournament with a shotgun start you may start on station 10 which means you shoot for a bit then need to get to station one and on some courses this can be a long way... Not trivial as it sounds but the cart provides shade and a comfortable place to sit throughout the day.

Gas Vs. Electric If you travel to tournament's I have not seen a cart that will make 3 days without a charge. That means loading it up to take back to motel or begging a charge from the host of the shoot who may or may not be able to help due to the sheer number of people.

EZGO, Club Car and Yamaha all make nice carts that can be modified to work.... Spend money on gears and clutch right away if you modify a cart and do not get a factory unit with big tires and correct gearing.

Cart 3.jpg

tennessee.jpg

Curt

Not sure I'll be any help but that never stops me from replying.  I've owned three golf carts, two Yamaha and one EzGo.  All three were trouble free for the most part throughout their lives but I personally would give the nod to the Yamaha.  Mine were all gas carts and none of them were ever used for SC, only golf.  I personally would not buy an electric cart.

GuyO

If you are going to buy a golf cart second hand and modify it I have two words of advice...ClubCar Precedent. I spent the last 35years of my working life in a golf cart. These are the most reliable, well made, and great lumbar support. They are easily modified with after market parts and accessories. Buggies Unlimited has a wide variety of after market modification options.

NECarson

Semi related... I go to a number of big diesel events with a buddy every year. He built what we call The Death Cart. 

Early 70s Club Car. Brakes are sketchy, steering is worse, but it will haul 9 adults and a Yeti 65 full of beer. Stock with good batteries. 

And the key modification for an electric cart. Solar panel roof. On even slightly sunny days, if we aren't being stupid it never needs charged. If we're carrying 6+ people and doing wheelies we do have to charge it at night. 

KerryLuft

25/06 has it right.  I don't personally own one as I can rent inexpensively at my main club -- and I do that only when pressed for time.  But based on friends' experiences, I would go:

* Gas -- besides the reasons stated by 25/06, I've seen electric carts struggle to get up hills when fully loaded

* Four-seater -- Not much more $$ but helpful when you shoot with friends

* A roof -- Never understood the people who spent the money for a cart without a roof.  Shade and shelter can be a big bonus in the summertime.

* Windshield -- heading into the wind in March can be numbing.

WyomingArt

For what it's worth: Tucson Trap/Skeet/Clays has a small fleet of  electric Club Cars donated by a member. For the big shoots Spring Grand, State Shoot, plus the big Clays shoots, they rent many more carts all w/ roofs, all electric and mostly Club Cars. The rental fleet  I saw are 4 seat, looked mostly stock. They're delivered to the club by the semi load.

Those traps stretch nearly a mile, the 3 big sporting clays venues are loops, each about a mile, other minor courses are shorter. These carts get worked hard during the clays shoots since the courses start about 1/2 from the clubhouse. If your squad started half way around some of the courses, it's  a mile from the club house.The sporting venues are on fairly level sand and gravel roads.  

bamboozler

Gents, I very much appreciate all of your opinions . . . after careful and deliberate consideration I have purchased a cart.  My choices dwindled down to two gas driven carts -- a Yamaha Drive or a Club Car Precendent.  After test driving both I chose the Yamaha for a variety of reasons.  First of all, the Yamaha definitely had more low end torque and was a little faster, although neither are what I would term speed demons.  The low end torque of the Yamaha will come in handy for our local SC course which is situated on the side of a hill, this course has the most severe vertical climb of any course I've been on.  When making my offer to purchase I made it contingent on the cart passing the audition, the audition was test driving it on our local course with two beefy boys aboard and making it up the hill without undue strain -- it passed with flying colors.  The Yamaha has more leg and foot room -- particularly for the driver's left foot.  The front seats are bigger also, in both width and depth.  The cart was recently modified to just about the way I would have chosen -- 3" Jake's lift, 12" wheels, 22" off-road tires, windshield, brush guard, backseat, light kit, an 88" roof and a trailer hitch.  I still need to get a gun rack and maybe a clays basket.  

Here she be:

Schmidtys%20Jeff%20715-650-1887%20-%20Co

25/06

That looks like a great cart!

Buggies unlimited have baskets and are good to deal with.

Rugged Gear or gun scabbards make nice gun racks.

http://www.scabbard.com/

http://ruggedgear.com/

First wet muddy day you will be amazed how popular you have become:D

Fender flares will be in your future also if you shoot on muddy courses

Camo is a nice option also, you should be able to sneak right up to those clay birds without flushing them till your ready:D

Does that have fuel injection?

dogrunner

Looks nice, I have seen some enclosed with small heaters for those nice chilly wet days. 

Kemo Sabe

Now that you have one, you need to have a plan in place concerning just how many people you will have "on board" during a shoot. It's very easy to get over loaded with 4 or 5 shooters and all of their stuff. 

Then there's going to be a buddy who gets his feeling hurt because you've included someone else and not him. It's easy to find yourself in a position of being a taxi driver and not being able to go ahead to the next station when you're the first one up.

I don't have an absolute answer for all of this, but just figure out what works for you and try and stick with it. The whole deal can be uncomfortable if you let it get out of hand. 

Up North

Nice cart! Does it have jake brakes?  ?