FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
terrym

So, I just bought a pellet gun

terrym

Some of you may remember my Brittany tearing an ACL last year when he leaped off the deck trying to get a squirrel. Well I have decided to wreak genocide on any and all squirrels that enter my yard this summer. Studied up on the world of airguns and was amazed at the extent of this community.  I ended up buying a used RWS 48 .177 and a Hawke 3-9x40 scope. This thing weighs more than my 7mm moose rifle. I haven't had time to tinker with it yet to find the "right load". Some of these rifles literally put shots into the same hole. Anybody here play around with airguns?

rich223

Good luck with your squirrel genocide it seems like you kill one 10 more will takes its place. Hope you have a good recipe for squirrel stew.

Cooter Brown

Here are a couple of threads:

This one went on for several pages:

This one is not as long:

NCgrouse

I have a nice .177 pellet rifle. For squirrels, I wish I had gone .22 cal pellets. The squirrels around here take a .177 and run like a deer. I want them DRT.

popplecop

A .177 with a good pellet will take squirrels, but one has to use head shots.  Without running to the basement the pellets I use for most things have a re plastic tip and for the life of me can't remember the name.

3crosses

Predator Polymags.

I have a Marauder pistol/carbine in .22 It is a tack driver with ploymags. I went through lots of pellets before I found two my gun liked. Polymag shorts and H&N Baracuda Match. It is a nice and light gun. With shoulder surgery a couple of years ago, I needed a light gun.

kondorthe2nd

You chose a good gun. Big and heavy but well suited for shooting from a rested position as it sounds like you may be doing more often than not. I use to have a Diana 52 which is simply a fancy (checkered) 48 that, despite it's power was not very hold sensitive, a lot of that having to do with it's weight and quick shot cycle. Mine was a .22 cal. and it's pellet of choice were the JSB Exacts. A round nose (Diabolo) pellet that, in general seems to be more accurate than pointed or wadcutter pellets in most of my air rifles. Mine was not real hold sensitive as are many "magnum" springers and I could actually shoot it accurately from a rest whereas most cannot be shot in this manner having to use a Military hold instead, which is fairly good grip at the butt end while letting the forend simply rest on your upturned palm. Maybe a light grip only. Also be sure to never dry fire you 48 because it could damage the spring.    I'm sure you already knew all of this stuff but I thought I'd just mention it in passing.  Good luck with your new gun and happy hunting. Squirrel really does taste good with the right recipe.

Curt

I inherited a .25 cal. pellet rifle from my brothers estate several years ago.  It's a big heavy gun, probably about 10 pounds or so.  He was into pellet rifles, I never have been and haven't fired this one but it looks impressive, has a variable power scope on it too.

stripersonfly

I have a .22 RWS 48.  More than accurate enough, and will cleanly kill a squirrel with either a head shot or a decent body/chest shot (pass through).  I have always used RWS SuperPoint 14.5 grain pellets.  It is a conical point not a hollow point, my gut tells me that a hollow point pellet is not worth it with an airgun.   Plenty accurate. 

I will say that Rich223 hit the nail on the head.  Nature abhors a vacuum...so you kill one squirrel, and another moves in almost immediately.  What you need to do is convince a Fisher cat to move into the neighborhood...they kill all the squirrels and chipmunks but quick. 

PartridgeCartridge

I think one of the best accessories you can buy, and they are cheap, are the pellet swedging uniforming tools. They simply make all of your pellets the exact same size/diameter and weight. You might be surprised at how accurate they can make a pellet gun shoot even better.

Hub

Don't shoot your eye out.

Spin
8 hours ago, popplecop said:

A .177 with a good pellet will take squirrels, but one has to use head shots.  Without running to the basement the pellets I use for most things have a re plastic tip and for the life of me can't remember the name.

Predator Poly Mag.   A good hunting pellet!

Spin

A Christmas present this past December, Hatsan Mod. 135 Vortex QE in .25 cal. Very nicely made gun. Plenty accurate and

very hard hitting. Heavy (10 lbs) and cocking effort in the neighborhood of 60 lbs, not hold sensitive and you need to use a good one piece mount and a "True Strength" scope like a UTG or Hawke that's made to handle the recoil of a true magnum springer.

ThreeDogs

I have about 15 pellet guns my boys all have a couple. As far as break barrel spring action guns the Weirauch out of Germany are very very good guns formerly sold under the beeman label.

They will set you back $300-$500 they are like high quality rifles. Light dynamic and very accurate. I like the HW30 and HW95 models they weigh 5.5-6 lbs and will stack one pellet right on top of another out to 50 yards.

For hunting purposes the .22 call pellets pack a lot more punch even at a moderate 600 fps. You can cleanly kill critters up to raccoon size with them.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spring-piston/weihrauch-hw95/

bobman

.177 will wound a lot of squirrels I would sell it and buy one in .22

The RWS48 is a real nice one though.