terrym

So, I just bought a pellet gun

max2

I have that model. Very accurate. One rainy day a number of yrs ago I set a bunch of pencils in a holder and was shooting the erasers off at about 15 yrds. RWS pellets with a flat nose. Fun gun. 

NelloR

I bought a Diana 34 .177cal a couple of years ago. WOW! I use the RWS pellets and man that thing is accurate. I used it on a tough critter- bigger than a squirrel-  not too long ago ( about a 20 yard shot ) and it had absolutely no chance! It may even replace your 7mm for moose! Set it up properly and you'll be having squirrel stew in no time, enjoy.

MAArcher

I have a 20 cal beeman R6.  Except for the weight, I like it.  Its been idle for a while as the cheap BSA scope I had on it broke and I haven't put a new one on it yet.

Brian Meckler

I am really into pellet guns.  Super fun, quiet and they can be a great hunting tool.  I like them so much I started an import business.  

http://www.edgunwest.com

MAArcher
7 hours ago, Brian Meckler said:

I am really into pellet guns.  Super fun, quiet and they can be a great hunting tool.  I like them so much I started an import business.  

http://www.edgunwest.com

Brian, that's really cool.  I think that airguns have a huge business potential.  I really wish I had the time and know how to start manufacturing them.  The lack of regulation and growing capabilities means that they are going to be the best alternative for most people living in areas where the discharge of firearms is already highly regulated or outright illegal.  How has business been?  How long have you been at it?

garyRI
27 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

best alternative for most people living in areas where the discharge of firearms is already highly regulated or outright illegal.

I assume the reason Korean Hatsan airguns exist is that private ownership of firearms in Korea is forbidden.

I've considered picking up an airgun that operates from a precharged onboard air tank but wonder if I don't use it for a couple years if I have to be concerned about seals drying out.

MAArcher
Just now, garyRI said:

I assume the reason Korean Hatsan airguns exist is that private ownership of firearms in Korea is forbidden.

I've considered picking up an airgun that operates from a precharged onboard air tank but wonder if I don't use it for a couple years if I have to be concerned about seals drying out.

I don't know about the seals drying out, I haven't heard of that being a problem on the PCP's.  I have heard it can happen to spring piston guns.  I used to have a nice Air Arms PCP that I probably let sit for almost a year and didn't have issues when I shot it again.  They work great, but it is a PITA dealing with SCUBA tanks.  If I were designing something, I'd make something where you used black powder to compress a remote air tank.  Should be a whole lot cheaper than a high pressure compressor and do away with the need to fill up at a certified SCUBA shop.  The whole industry is ripe for innovation to increase convenience, reduce weight and improve performance.  

garyRI

I live in coastal Rhode Island so access to dive shops is easy. And I understand dive tank air is "clean" but I wonder about moisture content. I have a compressor and have to drain the tank from time to time. I expect it will rust out someday but I have owned it for 10+ years and it hasn't yet. PCPs strike me as precision built gear & I wonder if they can be stored for extended periods, like firearms can, and be expected to be good to go.

MAArcher

I just found this:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Air_Venturi_Wing_Shot_Shotgun/3777

Think of the possibilities!  Not subject to 100 yard set back or no discharge ordinances.  I have a bunch of places in Massachusetts where there are lots of woodcock but you can't hunt them because they are in no discharge towns.  I may have to sell some stuff and order one of these.

garyRI

I get to shoot feral hogs in Texas and I think the multishot 30 calibre units would be great for pigs. They are legal for hogs and quieter than suppressed rifles, which are not Hollywood quiet.

PartridgeCartridge
1 hour ago, MAArcher said:

I just found this:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Air_Venturi_Wing_Shot_Shotgun/3777

Think of the possibilities!  Not subject to 100 yard set back or no discharge ordinances.  I have a bunch of places in Massachusetts where there are lots of woodcock but you can't hunt them because they are in no discharge towns.  I may have to sell some stuff and order one of these.

Keep in mind that the no discharge laws also include air rifles in many cases. Just don't get caught.

MAArcher
28 minutes ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

Keep in mind that the no discharge laws also include air rifles in many cases. Just don't get caught.

In Mass airguns are unregulated.  It would be perfectly legal to shoot which is what's so exciting.  I have a number of spots where even though the area is big enough so that I can get the required 500 feet away from a house, they are in a town that requires written land owner permission to discharge a firearm.  In Mass, airguns are not legally considered a firearm (nor are muzzleloaders).  I already do pretty well on woodcock with a 410 so it would be interesting to see if an airgun can get it done.  

ThreeDogs
7 hours ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

Thats exactly right! You need to check close or don't but just know if you can't shoot a .22 in your back yard an air gun is probably agains the law as well. Ask me how I found out.....yes I still shoot them in my back yard I'm just more discrete about it.

Brian Meckler

I have been playing with airguns as long as I have been allowed to shoot a gun.  The modern PCP doesn't really "dry out" like the old guns did that were equipped with leather seals.   They can stay charged for many years without an issue.    A modern PCP can most defiantly take any small game.  These guns are capable of producing 80-foot pounds of energy.  That is pretty close to a .22 LR

I have had quite a few pest control opportunities in places where a firearm would be out of the question.  Mainly golf courses and dairy farms.  

IMAG0671_zpsikoc3nqx.jpg

terrym

Update: well, my Diana 48, .177 with the 3x9x40 AO Hawke scope has killed every squirrel it was fired at with a single shot. The secret is to setup your shot. I bait them with peanut butter. When they come to feed on it I just let them settle in and then brain shoot them. The D48 is crazy accurate and if you're patient and let the tree rat settle is a killing machine. I only shoot weekday mornings when the neighbors aren't outside. You will never eradicate squirrels but I find after a session of taking 2-3 that we have peace from them for about a week and then this Canadian sniper takes them out from inside my kitchen shooting from the breakfast table......LoL. My Britt wrecked his tendons chasing them. I don't ever want to go through that again, not for tree rats.