FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
terrym

So, I just bought a pellet gun

Brad Eden

I bought a Gamo air gun a month or two back. Nothing earth shattering, $120 from Dicks. Bought it because my only sorta close neighbors got guinea hens again. I can shoot a rifle or shotgun at will, but would rather not advertise my activity...Not 30 like last summer but a small flock. I'm just waiting for them to wander....which they will...no patience for those obnoxious ear shattering peck rats. I could care less that they eat ticks, laying hens do too and also supply eggs but don't screech and chatter all the time.... We have almost no ticks in my area this year anyhow.

Cooter Brown

What are the triggers like on these mid-range models like the Diana and the Gamo?

Brad Eden
7 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

What are the triggers like on these mid-range models like the Diana and the Gamo?

Absolute crap on the Gamo. I just squeeze til I hit a wall, then trip it. Mine is not much more than a toy, really, has a low grade scope. I can typically shoot a group the size of a soup can cover freehand at 20-30 yards. Sufficient for plinking and small varmint removal. After that it's a crap shoot.

Dave in Maine

On the "nature abhors a vacuum" bit.

My dad had planted and nurtured an English walnut tree in the backyard of the home where I grew up.  About 20 years in, it matured and started producing walnuts.  In quantity.  This pleased my dad (and us) immensely because he was a good baker and we all loved all things made with walnut.  Got em by the peach basket.

Anyway, it didn't take more than a year or two for the local squirrels to discover this source of bounty.  So, my dad went out and got some of those CB caps and borrowed a friend's .22.  He'd be drinking his morning coffee and see the tree rustle as a squirrel tried to get some nuts.  He'd go down in the basement where, under the Bilco door, he'd created his sniper's nest.

It took a couple years but after SSS-ing 47 squirrels, they stopped coming.  And he had the walnuts to himself.

As in most things, persistence pays off.

terrym

I'm up to 16 so far. I find after about a week a couple move in but pellets come in tins of 500......:ph34r:

terrym
2 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

Even the higher end triggers are crapp compared to centerfires. They are mostly 2 stage and the reviews from the airgun sites leads me to believe most have no clue what a nice trigger feels like but my guess is the general design of Springer rifles prevents non 2 stage triggers?

ThreeDogs
1 hour ago, terrym said:

Even the higher end triggers are crapp compared to centerfires. They are mostly 2 stage and the reviews from the airgun sites leads me to believe most have no clue what a nice trigger feels like but my guess is the general design of Springer rifles prevents non 2 stage triggers?

A great trigger is the difference between a great air gun a crap one. The bullet is going so slow compared to a rifle that you can really move the point of aim before the bullet leaves the barrel.

MAArcher

My beeman R9 has a good trigger.  I've never adjusted it but it is adjustable too.     

3crosses

Well three years ago I planted turnips in my backyard garden. They were doing well and I was looking forward to turnip greens.

Ground squirrels found them. Not chipmunks, but ground squirrels. Look very similar to the California ground squirrel. They ate all the greens. But, I shrugged it off. Then the little bastids dug under my concrete pad the shed sits on. That really torked me off. Next the little bastids brought stick tight fleas into the yard. Dogs were covered with them. That did it. A Benjamin Marauder carbine, poly mags and two years later, I have no ground squirrels. Of course now I am trying to rid the world of Starlings. It is a target rich environment.

max2
21 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

On the Diana that I have I believe it is adjustable. I never have adjusted it and left it at the setting it came with.  Works well for me. Not so good for the red squirrel's 

terrym

Well, the Diana 48 has proven to be an insanely accurate air rifle. 10 shot groups at 15 yds are half the size if a dime. The .177 with clean head shots kills grey squirrels very well. I have never attempted a body shot and don't plan on it. I stopped counting bodies a month ago and my dogs no longer launch off the deck in hot pursuit. Nature certainly fills its voids but I'm keeping up pretty good. Now of course I want a high end PCP rifle mostly because of the reduced noise. Up here in Canada air rifles over 495fps are considered firearms and silencers of all kinds are prohibited. I live in a subdivision so am very limited as when I can shoot. I will never be rid of the tree rats but am definitely making a big difference. ?

MAArcher
6 hours ago, terrym said:

Up here in Canada air rifles over 495fps are considered firearms and silencers of all kinds are prohibited. 

Glad to see that Its not just the US that has a bunch of ignoramuses making laws.

A .22 PCP is a cool gun.  Most of them are silenced with a barrel shroud.  Unless you know your stuff you can't tell by looking at them that they are silenced.  Super accurate and perfect for suburban back yard target shooting and varmint control.  

kgb

Beeman R7/HW30S trigger is fine enough, mine's the latter. Don't intend to kill squirrels with it but it is likely sufficient. If any other airguns have this trigger I'd go for one with higher energy for that job.  

terrym

Update:

so I sold the Diana 48/177 and bought a used AA Prosport in .22. Much nicer rig with a far more friendly underlever cocking arm. I don't shoot squirrels in winter as my back yard is too exposed without leaves. Also there would be blood stains in the snow that would freak out the neighbors. Now I need to find it's most accurate ammo and wait for Spring when the leaves give us cover :ph34r: 

MAArcher
2 hours ago, terrym said:

Update:

so I sold the Diana 48/177 and bought a used AA Prosport in .22. Much nicer rig with a far more friendly underlever cocking arm. I don't shoot squirrels in winter as my back yard is too exposed without leaves. Also there would be blood stains in the snow that would freak out the neighbors. Now I need to find it's most accurate ammo and wait for Spring when the leaves give us cover :ph34r: 

Do you have a place to shoot in doors?  When i was into airguns I took a tool box and filled it with a putty, duct seal maybe?  or plumbers putty?  It worked well to catch the pellets without the noise and dust of a metal pellet trap.  I used to shoot from one room down a hallway into another room, maybe about 40ft.