FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
terrym

So, I just bought a pellet gun

terrym

That would be nice but my house is a 2 story with no longer spaces to do that. 

BlacknTan

I had a Beeman R-7 here for years until my son took it back!

Not much for killin' things that don't need killin', but if squirrels start trying to enter the attic, that's another story.

I need to replace the R-7, probably with this one..

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spring-piston/weihrauch-hw35e-walnut/

terrym
15 hours ago, BlacknTan said:

I had a Beeman R-7 here for years until my son took it back!

Not much for killin' things that don't need killin', but if squirrels start trying to enter the attic, that's another story.

I need to replace the R-7, probably with this one..

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spring-piston/weihrauch-hw35e-walnut/

Nice rifle but I prefer a fixed barrel underlever design. 

MTPipeliner

Funny you mentioned the blood in the snow.  

I shot one one several years back in my yard and it looked like I’d butchered a pig.  He then proceeded to run to the neighbors yard and died in the v of two branches, he hung in their tree for several weeks before their son in law climbed up and pulled him down.  Definitely not a covert sniping. 

terrym

Yup. I'm in a subdivision so the squirrel cull won't start up again until the leaves are fully out. You can't see into my yard then and I only take one at a time usually. So the pop from a pellet gun isn't really noticeable. I take the grays and leave the ground/reds alone. Those damned greys are an invasive species here and wreak havoc on the nesting doves. I have seen those damned tree rats chomping on eggs and attack the birds. It cost me $6k to fix myBritt who leaped off the deck to get one. Any tree rat that walks my fence is a target. 

strato-caster

Don't let the low price of the Gamos  lead you to believe that they are crappy. The triggers may be, but the gun is not.

You can do two things to vastly improve the accuracy and reduce noise, namely having an air gunsmith perform a "tune" and change out the piston spring with a higher quality one and replacing the mock two stage trigger with a CRT made by Charlie Da Tuna ($35). There are tutorials on YouTube for both and I think you will be very pleasantly surprised by the result... 

I once owned a Gamo Shadow 1000 and was gifted a CRT trigger by a friend who had an upland airgun hunting blog (yes you read that right, Draconian Kalifornia is, I believe. still the only state that legally allows upland hunting for quail, chukar, pheasant, and turkey with an airgun) and was given several CRT triggers by Charlie to try out and write a review about. They vastly improved accuracy and made a $120 Gamo shoot like a much more expensive springer. Did it compare to an R9 or R7 with the Rekord trigger?  I would think not, but the 6 lb Gamo scoped with a Leapers 2x9x40 with its illuminated mil-dot reticle and sun shade was a great way to achieve high accuracy in a lightweight plastic stocked gun for under $250 at the time of purchase.

Unfortunately, some druggies broke into my home and absconded with my first Gamo. Luckily I had purchased a second Shadow for my brother as a gift and he had never used it, so I bought it back, but it doesn't have quite the feel or accuracy of the first for some unknown reason. Still a great way to go, as CRT triggers are available for fitting on most of the current Gamo offerings. 

Brian Meckler

Just made a new video about the .30 caliber EDgun Matador, you may be surprised at what a modern PCP is capable of

erik meade

250 yards.  Wow

erik meade

Unsolicited video advice.  I’d break out just the shooting parts and post those.  Probably just the long range shots.  Label it something like “250 yard long range airgun”.  Just random people won’t stick with what appears to be a 25 minute owners manual, and won’t see the good parts.  If you just show the shooting, you can reel in the people that didn’t even know they wanted an airgun.

also instead of just super zooming on the cans, perhaps put a second  camera on a tripod right close to the cans. 

brushbuster

Another RWS owner here. Model 36 in 177 cal.

Purchased in the early 1980's after a whole summer mowing lawns and weeding gardens.

Many a groundhog invading the garden has fallen to the RWS.  

It is pretty heavy especially with the scope I added

Now my children are shooting and enjoying it.

IMG_0411.JPG

terrym

I just bought a pretty good one for the task. It's an Air Arms Prosport .22 

I have a Bushnell 4-12 on it. Haven't had time to find the best pellet yet and will be installing a Vortec high power tune kit. Should do the job. My shots are always inside 20yds. 

Brian Meckler

Erik, thanks for the feedback, I will start breaking my videos up into segments for different types of people and their interest