• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
grouse28

Allergy again

grouse28

Does anyone have any experience with treating allergies with Cytopoint?

My 4 yr. old setter has developed an allergy in the last year and a half.

Tested and came up with a dust mite allergy. She has been on Apoquel for awhile, seems to work.

Vet suggested Cytopoint a monthly injection, new on the market, seemingly safe.

As she has this reaction I will not breed her. Some have said that spaying may also help the problem.

Any truth to that? Regardless I am planning to spay her anyway.

marysburg

We had a female yellow lab on Apoquel for allergies, and it really helped her a lot.  Dust mite allergy was much reduced when we got a steam cleaner and I steam cleaned upholstery, dog beds, curtains, etc on a regular basis.  The steamer was a little blue machine that looked like a canister vacuum cleaner.  It held about 1 1/2 gallons of water, and had a long wand for reaching to do curtains, rugs, floors and so on.  Made by Hoover, and it was great.  Don't know about the  other drug you mentioned. Good luck dealing with allergies, it sure is no fun for the dog.

grouse28

Thanks for that tip, sounds like a good idea.

SLR

If you have forced hot air heating system, the ducts can be a major source of dust and mites. Cleaning them can help with the dust mite issue. A pure speculation re curtains and other fabrics in the room: treat them with permethrin like we do our outdoor clothes to prevent tick exposure. It might help control dust mites. 

Dakotazeb
On 4/3/2017 at 11:56 AM, grouse28 said:

Does anyone have any experience with treating allergies with Cytopoint?

My 4 yr. old setter has developed an allergy in the last year and a half.

Tested and came up with a dust mite allergy. She has been on Apoquel for awhile, seems to work.

Vet suggested Cytopoint a monthly injection, new on the market, seemingly safe.

As she has this reaction I will not breed her. Some have said that spaying may also help the problem.

Any truth to that? Regardless I am planning to spay her anyway.

I realize that this thread is 7 months old but I thought I would chime in since I have a dog on Cytopoint.  I bought a 6 month old female Brittany in January 2017.  At the time she had a severe ear infection which we remedied quite fast.  But she was also itching and biting at her feet.  The vet first put her on Temaril-P which did decease the itching quite a bit.  However after 2 months on the Temaril-P I weaned her off because it contained Prednisone.  She starting itching more and losing hair.  We couldn't give her Apoquel because it isn't approved for dogs under a year of age.  My vet then suggested an injection of Cytopoint the first part of May.  The injections of Cytopoint a suppose to last from 4-8 weeks and have been lasting us at least 8 weeks.  The last injection lasted 10+ weeks.  Each injection costs me approx. $66 so it appears to be a less expensive option than Apoquel. 

I did have my dog tested for allergies.  She had the majority of positive results in the food panel.  Positive for Lamb, Turkey, Salmon, Rabbit, Tomato and Peanut.  She was Borderline/Positive for Yeast and Chicken.  There weren't a lot of non food things she was positive for but she was very positive for dust and storage mites.  Dust mites in the home are extremely difficult to control but we are trying our best.  Fortunately our home is about 75-80% laminate flooring.  Finding a food that doesn't contain things she tested positive for is not easy.  For the past 2 1/2 months we have been feeding her a Limited Ingredient Grain Free dog food from Canidae that contains Wild Boar (she is negative for Pork), Sweet Potatoes, Peas, Chickpeas, Canola Oil and Suncured Alfalfa.  So far I can't say whether the food has made a difference.  We are hoping the food helps and/or she out grows the allergies.  Generally allergies are a sign of a weakened immune system.  

I hope this helps some of you that are dealing with similar issues.  If you have any advice for me I'd appreciate hearing from you.  Thanks.

grouse28

Dakotazeb

Thanks for the advice. I did remove the Soresto collar she had, although the allergy predated the collar it, helped when I removed it. I really liked the Soresto btw. We have all hardwood floors with a few throws. We try our best to keep things clean, with two setters it is tough. Best thing I got was a Dyson stick vacuum. Very handy and effective, just pick it up and go.

The food is a difficult path to go down, trying one thing then another. I have settled on Victor "Hero", they both are doing well on it, nice firm stools.

I did get her spayed, no difference noted on the allergy front, just some weight gain that she is slowly losing. She still has some phases of itching and chewing her flank.

Sad to see her go through that. Still on Apoquel, I will check into the Cytopoint again. Thanks for your input.

marysburg

Please let us know how things work out.  The entire allergy thing is so frustrating.  Three weeks ago, we ran our dog in a duck slough, and she has been itchy ever since.  She had done so well all summer.  If you go on Cytopoint, I'd love to hear how well it works.  Cheers, marysburg

Dakotazeb

As I stated above, I have been very happy with the Cytopoint.  Although I suppose it will work differently for every dog.  But the injections are lasting 8-10 weeks before we start seeing signs of increased itching.  I like the idea of an injection every couple months rather than a pill each day.  I've had hunting dogs for over 40 years and never had one with allergies until now.  She has great breeding with no history of any allergies in her background.  Guess it's just an unlucky draw.  Sure is a frustrating issue.  I will have her spayed when she reaches 2 years of age.

Dakotazeb
16 hours ago, grouse28 said:

We have all hardwood floors with a few throws. We try our best to keep things clean, with two setters it is tough. Best thing I got was a Dyson stick vacuum. Very handy and effective, just pick it up and go.

I bought a robotic vacuum recently.  We have carpet only in the bedrooms so I close those doors and turn it on when I go to bed.  In the morning the floors are clean and it's back on it's charging station.  Run it 2-3 times a week.  Does a great job with dust and dog hair.

Dogwood

Spaying will have zero effect but I like Cytopoint.

BTW allergy testing for food allergies specifically is essentially worthless.  The only way to diagnose a food allergy is via properly executed hypoallergenic diet trials.

grouse28

Dogwood

Over the years has there been an increase in dog allergies? I am approaching 70 and "back in the day" it seems it was not as prevalent as today.

Is keeping dogs indoors some of the cause? Most old timers kept their dogs outside and allergies were not an issue or maybe I was too young to know. 

Dogwood
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:18 PM, grouse28 said:

Dogwood

Over the years has there been an increase in dog allergies? I am approaching 70 and "back in the day" it seems it was not as prevalent as today.

Is keeping dogs indoors some of the cause? Most old timers kept their dogs outside and allergies were not an issue or maybe I was too young to know. 

Not really more prevalent rather back in the day it was thought that itchy skin was caused by other issues.  Now we know better.

shoot-straight
On 11/14/2017 at 9:18 PM, grouse28 said:

Dogwood

im  not 70, but i was thinking along the same lines. 

i have a super allergy plagued lab. in labradors lack of genetic diversity has been blamed by many. that i cant agree or disagree with- but i will say the "mutts" i have know seem to have far less health problems overall, including allergies. just my observation, but its a small sample size. 

didnt seem like any people were falling over dead from eating a peanut 20 years ago either. so it doesnt seem like its restricted to the dog world.