• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Frazier

Herters Steel Shot

Tim Frazier

Cabela's has these as cheap as I've seen steel shot.  We will see how it shoots but for $109 a flat and $5 shipping for 3" steel I'll give them a try.

Has anyone shot these?  They had 3", 1 1/8oz  #3s at 1550fps an while I would have rather got 2 3/4" shells at around 1375 I think I will be OK.

charlo slim

Know zilch about the Herters steel.  Have you already bought them, or are you still looking around at potential alternatives/

Dick Sellers

Tim, just curious why you would prefer less shot and slower speed.

Tim Frazier
12 hours ago, Dick Sellers said:

Tim, just curious why you would prefer less shot and slower speed.

I'm a big fan of 1 1/8oz of #3s at 1375 as that's what I've shot the last few years.  The ones I had were Federals but I'm about out.  I'll see how these pattern and I have a number of choke tubes to mess with and a couple barrels.  I also like Kent shells but for the money I'm willing to take a chance. (split the case with a friend)

Rick Hall

I'd of gone with "Faster acquisition of secondary targets."

Tim Frazier

Rick, what type of ammo do you see most often down there?  I don't know that I understand the need for this fast stuff but I might after shooting it.  Charlo, your shooting 3" 20ga 1oz loads last I knew, how fast are those?

Randy S

I bought a box of steel @ 1550 for pheasants by accident a few years ago and found I didn't need that much kick to kill a bird. 1375 is much milder to shoot and I believe you'll feel the difference. I only shoot about 20-25 roosters a year and then move on to other birds so they're mostly early season, but 1-1/16 oz @1375 works for me.

Rick Hall
27 minutes ago, Tim Frazier said:

Rick, what type of ammo do you see most often down there?

I see it all.  Flips me out how many folks are shooting top dollar 3 1/2" 12ga snot slingers at ducks over my 30yd wide pothole.  And can be fun to turn them onto the 2 3/4" Rios I keep for folks who run out.

I usually shoot 2 3/4" 20ga Kent Upland Steel 5s, which are pretty fast, unless specifically targeting geese and sometimes then, too.  But I'm not one to agonize over proper gun or load - just getting our birds where it shouldn't matter.

Tim Frazier

Rick I picked up some Rio 2 3/4" 3s as well.  I might have to sell the rest of that flat if those Herters are as loud/punishing as I think.  I have never fired a shotgun shell that fast so this might be a lesson for me!

Rick Hall

They seem to burn dirtier than I'd like, but the price is right, and they work.  Lot of guides here shoot them.

charlo slim
On 4/6/2017 at 4:24 PM, Tim Frazier said:

Rick, what type of ammo do you see most often down there?  I don't know that I understand the need for this fast stuff but I might after shooting it.  Charlo, your shooting 3" 20ga 1oz loads last I knew, how fast are those?

The 1 oz. 3" 20's are 1325 - 1350 fps Tim, and they provide fully as much recoil as I want.... in a 6.5# fixed-breech gun anyway.  The theoretical gain in going from 1350 to 1550 fps is roughly +12 feet in range (with 3's) for comparable per-pellet energy/penetration.  That is in exchange for + 25% increase in ft/lbs of recoil, delivered in what seems to me like a somehow "sharper" fashion.  Not a good trade-off in my book, particularly when the 1350 stuff is quite lethal out as far as most folks can reliably hit birds where they live instead of where they excrete. 

If anyone is still shopping around -- Roger's almost always has some pretty good deals on a variety of steel loads, with free shipping.

On 4/6/2017 at 4:56 PM, Rick Hall said:

But I'm not one to agonize over proper gun or load - just getting our birds where it shouldn't matter.

Yep, and therein lies the crust of the biscuit!

Kemo Sabe

Up until recently, all steel pellets were created equal. We all know that this is not true with lead and the addition of antimony.

Premium steel usually is about a better casing in an attempt to keep the interior of the shotshells free from moisture. Other upgrades maybe the wad and powder. But for the most part, steel loads are like grits (“grits are grits”) and there is not much difference in them, other than speed and the quality of the casing. .

The new HeviX from Environmetal Steel is a whole different story, with it’s actual increase in the density of the pellets. I’ve done some field testing of it, and am very impressed.

mccuha

Been shooting Rios since they came out.  Been pleased. Have hunted with several other people that would laugh at my shells while the were shooting those other brands of expensive shells.   I will usually walk out with as many if not more than they would.  You can usually catch them at a very good price.   They seem to have become more popular in the last few years.  Don’t know anything about herters steel.  

Rick Hall

My bitch with Rios is that the powder burns slow/dirty and may burn your eyes like Federals when shooting into the wind.

mister grouse

I have  found that 3 in- 1 1/8 -1550 load around $10-11$  in Winchester,at Walmart but don't shoot it anymore except for cripple finishers.. Actually just checked and Rogers Sporting goods on the net  has the Winchester load above  for $119 free shipping right now.