• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Frazier

Herters Steel Shot

mister grouse
22 hours ago, Kemo Sabe said:

(“grits are grits”)

BTW   There are as many variations on grits are there are in steel shot loads ( actually more).  Both as to types of grind, types of corn, and types of recipes.   I won't attempt to list the types or go through the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company -type variation list.  Saying "grits are grits" to a southerner  is perhaps akin to saying "white wine is white wine " to a Californian.  :D

Kemo Sabe

I made a mistake there in saying “steel loads” . What I meant to say was “steel pellets” are what is pretty much all the same. And, 

with the exception of HeviX, they are all indeed pretty much the same. 

Up until 5 years ago when my daughter started Grad School at Emory University down in Hotlanta, Georgia I had never even heard of grits. Still know very little about them. When I asked what they were in a restaurant, the cute little waitress gave me the “grits are grits” line that I’ve hear many times since.

I’m not much on white wine, but I do enjoy our higher quality Napa Valley reds. 

Anyway, steel pellets are basically all the same until HeviX.

Tim Frazier

I bailed this year as I also have a stash of Bismuth 12ga 2 3/4" 5s.  I can't take them with me so I used them on the farm as it's private land/creek and I can pick my shots better.  Needless to say they were pretty lights out on wood ducks.  I buy the good stuff anytime I see it at gun shows for $1 a shot or less, but then hesitate to use it.  I'm not a steel hater though which is why I have a couple hundred rounds of the TM and Bismuth I should probably just shoot. 

DennisMcFeely

Great thread