FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Dogwood

Pickup trucks with the lowest bed height?

Dogwood
12 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Twistep for pickups

Pricy though. And dog could miss it or slip on jump down.

IMG_0281.JPG

That bed looks reasonably low.  Wonder what truck that is?

bobman

chevy and its not low

the only truck that has a sensible height is the Tacoma , but that's not a real truck

dogrunner

Ford step not very big for a dog. 

image.jpg

MNice

A friend who's a pro trainer and trialer runs a luxury 16 dog box (always full) on a F-550 chassis. The top boxes are a good 7+ feet off the ground and he uses a folding canvas platform to load and unload. It's similar in design to a boat ladder although I think it was custom made as I have not seen another. I think one could easily make their own for their desired application.

Bede

Honda Ridgeline. 

Dogwood

Ok I'll compromise.  How 'bout a truck that can tow 8000 with relatively low bed depth?  Used please.

Cooter Brown

Helium balloons, float the critters in and out!

Helium can also be used to lighten up that heavy target gun, turning it into a practical field piece!

Western hunters will find that our new helium vest technology transforms the drudgery of carrying the 30 gallons of water they need into a pleasure!

Those heavy Kenetrec boots a bit of a drag on your old legs?  Helium soles are the answer to a chukar hunter's most fervent prayers!

And as a bonus, if you order this week, all of our products are shipped ready to conveniently store themselves on the ceiling!

Helium.  It's a gas!

charlo slim
12 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

And as a bonus, if you order this week, all of our products are shipped ready to conveniently store themselves on the ceiling!

Helium.  It's a gas!

And... WAIT!  Just think about the profit involved in shipping!  Seriously. If super-swift overnight shipping costs $50 for a 10 lb package, then shipping for minus 10 lbs of helium should return that same $50. It's a matter of common sense and sharp logic.  

Curt
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:07 PM, Dave Quindt said:

<begin vaguely-related comment>

Show me a retriever trial pro's dog truck with a chassis cab dog box and I can tell you the boxes that contain dogs owned by the most knowledgeable and experienced owners. How?  A few years ago trialers started to see the correlation between dogs coming out of the top boxes and front shoulder injuries in the dogs. So customers started demanding their dogs get the lower boxes.

From the first time I helped by own pro to unload his dogs, I was immediately taught to not let a dog ever jump out of a box, but to grab them by the collar and make sure the front and rear legs land roughly at the same time.  The same goes for jumping out of a dog bed; it never happens.  I'm convinced that the forces put on a dog jumping out of a truck bed and landing on a hard surface are completely unnatural to a dog. 

Am I saying that all dogs allowed to jump from the bed will eventually injure themselves?  Nope.  But I am convinced that controlling their descent can reduce wear and tear?  Yup. Do I wince every time I see dogs go flying off of the tailgate, having known dogs that have suffered with shoulder injuries.  You bet!

<end vaguely-related comment>

It does happen and is something that is easily preventable.  My six year old male brit is permanently on the bench due to an injury sustained during jumping down like described here.

His cracked elbow joint from jumping, followed by two botched surgeries to correct has left him a cripple and unable to ever run the field again.  My advice is to take the time to lift them down, don't allow them to jump. 

Cooter Brown
1 hour ago, charlo slim said:

And... WAIT!  Just think about the profit involved in shipping!  Seriously. If super-swift overnight shipping costs $50 for a 10 lb package, then shipping for minus 10 lbs of helium should return that same $50. It's a matter of common sense and sharp logic.  

Indeed.  I patented my idea for helium packing materials years ago.

Now I just have to convince those fusspots at the FAA.

dogrunner
1 hour ago, Cooter Brown said:

Helium balloons, float the critters in and out!

Helium can also be used to lighten up that heavy target gun, turning it into a practical field piece!

Western hunters will find that our new helium vest technology transforms the drudgery of carrying the 30 gallons of water they need into a pleasure!

Those heavy Kenetrec boots a bit of a drag on your old legs?  Helium soles are the answer to a chukar hunter's most fervent prayers!

Helium.  It's a gas!

And if ordered in the next 10 minutes we will Double your order. 

Wirehair
On 4/15/2017 at 6:39 AM, Dogwood said:

Ok I'll compromise.  How 'bout a truck that can tow 8000 with relatively low bed depth?  Used please.

If you don't need a topper then get a flat bed. Even seen some with tool boxes on the sides that looked nice and allowed alot of lockable storage with out having real tall sides.