FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
provident

Need a new SUV, so what are your thoughts about a...

braque du upstate

Twice a year?  I'd rent or pay a friend.  Tow vehicles can be necessary evil. seems like a lot of money for what you need. 

studdog

FWIW.  I've been using Full size Ford Expeditions as my main "hunting" and road vehicle for some time.   Couldn't be happier.  Lots of room for dogs gear and people!  Great on highway and limited off road.  Handles all conditions.  The new turbo V6 is fantastic and the range with 33 gallon tank is awesome.  Also, great for towing if needed. A little pricy but you get what you pay for. I used to run GMC Yukon's but the current Expedition  is far superior IMO.

Natty Bumpo

We bot a new Honda Pilot for Mrs. Bumpo in '09. It has a mid level trim package with leather seats and its pretty comfortable for me to drive long distances. I am 6' 2" and don't fit well in the small rice burners.

It has ~95K miles on it currently. We have it serviced regularly and have had ZERO  major repairs/service issues in the nine years we have owned it. When you buy a used vehicle, you are taking a chance. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Happens.

We have a fairly steep driveway leading up to the house/ barn. Also live in Lake Effect Central, Michigan, easily get snow/ slush/sleet six months of the year or more. We put Michelin LTX M/S tires on the Pilot  and it has always been able to get in or out of here, baring a major blizzard.  I will say that AWD system works pretty darn well  for us.

It is not a grouse mobile in my world. Or tow vehicle. The best covers are off the beaten path, sometimes well off the beaten path.  Also concerned about possible repair problems in Moose Jaw, UP or in the middle of Montana somewhere. But that's what F150s are for.

NB

Dogwood
On 4/18/2017 at 5:46 PM, provident said:

Thanks for the input. It will NOT be used off road as my Jeep Wrangler is my hunting vehicle and nothing beats that with winch, etc., etc. I just need it for snow on regular roads, and to haul the dogs around while not hunting. I considered the Highlander, but I tow a 3000 lb boat twice a year (into and out of the lake where I live), and if I upgrade the HIghlander to a six cylinder engine (it comes with a 3 cyl) I'm at the Pilot price pretty much, and it is less car. I hate spending as much as the thing costs, but frankly couldn't find anything else that seemed suitable, and with some decent reviews. I will be looking at them Friday and hoping to unload the Trailblazer which is starting to have some issues.

I think given all your priorities you'll be quite happy with your choice.  Buy a Honda Certified Pilot and you'll have a better than new warranty and someone else will have taken the 2 year depreciation hit.

bullseyebill

I have a 2011 Grand Cherokee. Best vehicle I've ever owned. 70,000 miles and just one 200$ 

out of pocket repair.Still on the original brakes and get 20 mpg. The best recommendation is

our two Vizslas really like riding in it.

provident

Well, I made the decision, and drove a new Honda Pilot home. The EX L version with AWD, and more bells and whistles than I need, for sure. It rides great, had plenty of room, and should make a pleasant over the road car with the dogs and the stuff we always seem to be hauling around. I didn't have a trailer hitch installed because I decided to use my GMC Sierra to move the boat around. Unfortunately, it cost twice as much as my first house in Portland, that would now go for $350k+. Our Trailblazer was great, 151,100 miles, but it was developing some serious, costly issues. The many people we talked to that had/have Pilots were very pleased, with almost no negatives. We heard many stories about 12 yr old vehicles with 200K miles that were never serviced. We should be so lucky.The Jeep Wrangler will still reside in the garage and only come out for fishing trips or bird hunting with the dogs. So far the 29 years it has given me have been minimally expensive and it only has 80K miles on it. And, like bullseyebill, my two Vizslas love riding in it! Thanks to you all for your suggestions and input.

Riffle Runner

Honda Pilot owners add this link to your favorites: www.piloteers.org

Great site for troubleshooting issues, reviews from owners, can search by vehicle model year and  lots of do-it yourself mechanics who give solid advice.  

I bought a used 2004 Pilot EX three years ago with 80,000mi.  Been happy with vehicle and Use it for hunting In upper MI for grouse.  Works well on MI two tracks and in snow in NW Ohio and on Ski trips to PA.  Admittedly this is not like a jeep or full size truck for serious off road work, but I've never been stuck taking vehicle into small game fields, or through deeper snow to access cover, etc..  I'd buy another one.

Chukarman

Ford builds an excellent line of AWD SUVs. I would look there for your year round vehicle. Outstanding dealer support.

salmontogue
54 minutes ago, Chukarman said:

Ford builds an excellent line of AWD SUVs. I would look there for your year round vehicle. Outstanding dealer support.

Also consider buying a Ford/Lincoln Certified pre-owned.  These are normally two to three years old, bumper to bumper 7yr/100k including roadside assistance.  I purchased a two year old Lincoln MKX (upgraded Explorer) with 16K miles for slightly over half the MSRP.  I bought it sight unseen from a dealer I have known and used.  I could not tell the MKX from new.  If only pickups could be purchased at this discount.

Perk

Bullwinkle
On 4/21/2017 at 7:13 PM, provident said:

Well, I made the decision, and drove a new Honda Pilot home. The EX L version with AWD, and more bells and whistles than I need, for sure. It rides great, had plenty of room, and should make a pleasant over the road car with the dogs and the stuff we always seem to be hauling around. I didn't have a trailer hitch installed because I decided to use my GMC Sierra to move the boat around. Unfortunately, it cost twice as much as my first house in Portland, that would now go for $350k+. Our Trailblazer was great, 151,100 miles, but it was developing some serious, costly issues. The many people we talked to that had/have Pilots were very pleased, with almost no negatives. We heard many stories about 12 yr old vehicles with 200K miles that were never serviced. We should be so lucky.The Jeep Wrangler will still reside in the garage and only come out for fishing trips or bird hunting with the dogs. So far the 29 years it has given me have been minimally expensive and it only has 80K miles on it. And, like bullseyebill, my two Vizslas love riding in it! Thanks to you all for your suggestions and input.

Stick to the Honda maintenance and it will run a very long time..