FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Natty Bumpo

NEW HEN DECOY ??

garyRI

i use whatever hen decoy that is cheap and foldable. Have a feather flex and a no name Walmart. I don't think the turkeys care

Brad Eden

IMG_0286.JPG

She practically yelps...hey I staked black garbage bags in a field once to create a flock and it worked. It's still fun using cool gear, decoys etc. Plus realistic decoys are nice to look at when the action is slow or nonexistent. JMO

TJK68

I have the Avian X Jake Quarter Strut Decoy and Feeder Hen and really like them a lot.

IsThisHeaven?
On 4/20/2017 at 1:42 PM, Natty Bumpo said:

Excellent!   A real time field test of the Avian X hen. Please let us know how you like them, or perhaps more important, how the turkeys like them. B|

Good luck with your hunt. Hope you shoot one of those 25# pound Iowa monsters. :D

It went pretty well. 

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

IsThisHeaven?

Excellent!   A real time field test of the Avian X hen. Please let us know how you like them, or perhaps more important, how the turkeys like them. B|

Good luck with your hunt. Hope you shoot one of those 25# pound Iowa monsters. :D

IMG_0254.JPG

IsThisHeaven?

It went pretty well. 

IMG_0254.JPG

Brad Eden

Nice. 

Ya know I'm surprised someone hasn't imbedded a digital yelp, purr, click etc. call/sound in one of these hen decoys. Something that could be played on a transmitter device from a blind or where you are sitting...or even on an iPhone. That's common technology in today's digital call and digital world. Not that it would be anything I would use, but it's coming if it isn't here already.

Natty Bumpo
2 hours ago, IsThisHeaven? said:

It went pretty well. 

IMG_0254.JPG

Congrats. That's a Dandy strutter.  Got some vitals:  Beard? Hooks?

Great looking setup too, no wonder it worked so well. B|

NB

IsThisHeaven?
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Nice. 

Ya know I'm surprised someone hasn't imbedded a digital yelp, purr, click etc. call/sound in one of these hen decoys. Something that could be played on a transmitter device from a blind or where you are sitting...or even on an iPhone. That's common technology in today's digital call and digital world. Not that it would be anything I would use, but it's coming if it isn't here already.

Brad - I can't speak for other states, but I know in Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota electronic calls is illegal. 

charlo slim
On 4/21/2017 at 0:06 PM, Brad Eden said:

It's still fun using cool gear, decoys etc. Plus realistic decoys are nice to look at when the action is slow or nonexistent.

Yep.  I don't use turkey decoys l, but do have a few Dave Smith goose decoys that are virtually works of art. Can't really tell that the geese give a rip, but the decoy watching is mighty fine.

22 hours ago, IsThisHeaven? said:

Brad - I can't speak for other states, but I know in Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota electronic calls is illegal.

Legal for fox, coyote, crows, etc in most states.  Varies state-by-state for most game species and universally illegal for waterfowl except in Spring conservation season for white geese.  Here is summary info (but check your state regs carefully before "plugging in").

https://www.gofoxpro.com/site/resources/map/

Interesting ethical quandary IMO  -- where do we "draw the line"?

Brad Eden

In Maine, electronic calls are legal for deer, moose, bear, wild turkeys, coyotes, not sure about waterfowl. 

Brad Eden

I did the design, marketing etc for a digital call company for over a dozen years. I've Field tested them quite a bit. They aren't great for whitetail deer, at least in Maine, can be outstanding for moose with drawn out estrus moans etc., and a speaker that really reaches out, and outside of being effective as a locator call for turkeys given their volume, aren't any more effective than basic calling with hand and mouth calls. And all digital calls are standard issue these days for predators. It's not uncommon for some people who use them to to place a remote receiver/speaker with a turkey decoy, and call from the blind. Pretty effective I'd say, but not a sure thing, nothing is. My point was that someone will eventually embed a small receiver speaker inside a turkey decoy. 

IsThisHeaven?
53 minutes ago, charlo slim said:

Yep.  I don't use turkey decoys l, but do have a few Dave Smith goose decoys that are virtually works of art. Can't really tell that the geese give a rip, but the decoy watching is mighty fine.

Legal for fox, coyote, crows, etc in most states.  Varies state-by-state for most game species and universally illegal for waterfowl except in Spring conservation for white geese.  Here is summary info (but check your state regs carefully before "plugging in").

https://www.gofoxpro.com/site/resources/map/

Interesting ethical quandary IMO  -- where do we "draw the line"?

Right. I was addressing Brad's earlier post about electronic calls in turkey decoys. In Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin electronic calls are not legal to use while turkey hunting.

charlo slim
11 minutes ago, IsThisHeaven? said:

Right. I was addressing Brad's earlier post about electronic calls in turkey decoys. In Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin electronic calls are not legal to use while turkey hunting.

Understood.  Nor in MT, OK, or most other states , with Maine and Texas being exceptions (likely some other exceptions as well -- I did not click all the states on that Foxpro chart).

Michael Stenstrom

I have really upgraded my decoys.  I noticed the difference immediately. The change came when I started trying to bowhunt for birds.  The turkeys would always hold up at around 20 yards. which was out of my turkey range.  A DSD jake made all the difference. I would say well over 3/4 the toms that have seen it have come right in an kicked the crap out of it. Now a standing AVian X hen and anew Avian X lay down breeder and I have high hopes for a recurve bird again this year.