FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
floodcity

Grouse habitat

floodcity

20161226_095240.thumb.jpg.b9ff1719fed6d4381f5e46975023c507.jpg

Made a 20acre clear cut on my farm this past fall to foster improved grouse, bear, and deer habitat. Just got done planting crabapples and elderberry in the cut. Should be getting my conifers and bird bundle from the PA Game Commission soon. Let you know how it worked in 8 to 10yrs.

Remo

Habitat projects like this give you a good feeling. Also helps many other species.

Skybuster

I'd be curious to know what type of vegetation you expect to grow back naturally in your area. In northern WI nothing need be planted after a clear cut as poplar seeds rest dormant in the soil until the forest canopy is opened up. Being shade intolerant poplar regenerates naturally when the sun is allowed in. Here are a couple of photos taken in 2011. 

IMGP1373.JPG

UJ_4.JPG

upstate

very nice!  something to be proud of for sure, very rewarding work,

john

floodcity
12 hours ago, Skybuster said:

I'd be curious to know what type of vegetation you expect to grow back naturally in your area. In northern WI nothing need be planted after a clear cut as poplar seeds rest dormant in the soil until the forest canopy is opened up. Being shade intolerant poplar regenerates naturally when the sun is allowed in. Here are a couple of photos taken in 2011. 

IMGP1373.JPG

UJ_4.JPG

Nice job. In PA, the clearcuts typically begin with a mixture of birch,  beech, witch hazel, etc along with sprouts from the cut stumps. Rarely does one species predominate. 

Reeba
22 hours ago, Skybuster said:

I'd be curious to know what type of vegetation you expect to grow back naturally in your area. In northern WI nothing need be planted after a clear cut as poplar seeds rest dormant in the soil until the forest canopy is opened up. Being shade intolerant poplar regenerates naturally when the sun is allowed in. 

Minor clarification.  Aspen will regenerate suckering from root shoots.  So there will be excellent stem density of aspen regenerating a clear cut if there is a network of viable aspen root shoots in the clear cut. The root shoots I believe predictably will extend at least 30 ft. from an existing tree. So you need viable aspen in the vicinity to predictably regenerate aspen.

Skybuster

Agreed thanks! Most of the clear cuts in my area were mature aspen to begin with.

bill

hawthorn is another good grouse food

Grifish

Our Pa. birds can use all the help they can get!  Thanks!

floodcity

Planted some RGS clover trail mix along the logging road.  Took pretty well.

20170625_175302.jpg

quailguy
11 hours ago, floodcity said:

Planted some RGS clover trail mix along the logging road.  Took pretty well.

20170625_175302.jpg

I did that years ago on some paper company land in Mckean county, PA, and the deer ate it down to nothing. Hope you have better luck !

Natty Bumpo
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:29 PM, bill said:

hawthorn is another good grouse food

Roger that.

Washington Hawthorns have done the best of all the wildlife plantings we have done on our farm. For one reason apparently. The deer don't browse them down to almost nothing!!  GBE wrote often about finding grouse on the haws.

Everything else,  a wide variety of apples, crabapples, various dogwoods, vibernums, hybred oaks, ninebark, etc are mostly destroyed by destructive browsing or rubbing just as soon as they come out of the tree tubes. >:(

floodcity

Deer numbers are way down. So far clover has been largely ignored but that could change at any moment.  I planted many of the seedlings in small spaces within the downed treetops. Hopefully this offer some protection and limit deer access.

I did plant approximately 100 Hawthorne seedlings. Hopefully at least they will survive. 

Spin

Are Ironwood trees common in PA? They are secondary to popple (aspen) in the Upper Great Lakes but are still important secondary food source  and cover for grouse particularly in spring.