• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
trust me

Silent Woods

trust me

I've been out two mornings and several afternoons and have yet to hear a gobble.  I traded insults with a hen up close and personal Sunday morning so I know they're not extinct. I'll get back out Sunday morning and if nothing is going on, I'll hang it up for the season.  I like sitting in the woods as much as anybody but there are more productive ways to spend my valuable spring days.

Brad Eden

Oh stop. You won't stop until you have one hanging.

polecat

I was out looking the last couple days.It's gonna be tough.

trust me
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Oh stop. You won't stop until you have one hanging.

I don't know if they're henned up or through with the breeding or stuffed in a freezer somewhere.  Nothing going on in my couple square miles, apparently, after talking with other folks in the neighborhood.

Roost em 1st

Hang on. I experienced a lull last weekend in gobbling too. I chalked it up to hens and weather. Monday it didn't rain and very  little gobbling at daybreak but had two gobble at me from across the river at noon. It took very little to get the first bird to gobble. They may have enough hens to breed for morning hours but they don't have enough to last all day. The lull comes every year after a couple weeks of gobbling around here. i figure the lull means they are fully occupied with hens. They start gobbling again as hens nest. At least in the areas I hunt. 

trust me

Nah, I'm done.  We went way past a lull and straight into cessation.  Nothing going on anywhere around here.  They were gobbling hard the week before the season but they shut up as soon as the season opened.  Some I'm sure got bagged but certainly not all.

If we get a nice cool wet evening this week, I may go sit on a ridgetop and see what happens.  Those 5:30 am wake ups got old.

Coalman

The real turkey hunters thank you for giving up. 

More room in the woods and more gobblers left for the rest of us.

I like your kind.  :)

dogrunner

I hope all the turkey hunters next week think like you. xD

trust me
22 hours ago, Coalman said:

The real turkey hunters thank you for giving up. 

More room in the woods and more gobblers left for the rest of us.

I like your kind.  :)

I wish you and all the others nothing but the best.  Denigrate me if you will.  I have broad shoulders and can take it.

Anyway, there may be more male turkeys left for you, but zero gobblers.  It's not just me.  Nobody here is hearing anything.  Season's last day is Sunday, and I've got a standing invite to hunt a farm 30 minutes from here.  I may try it Saturday and see what happens over there.

Maybe you can magically make them start talking, but I doubt it.  It's gets wasteful taking time off work to sit in quiet woods.  

Coalman

The razz is to get you motivated. We all hope to see your smiling mug behind a big tail fan Monday morning.

Give it your all. :)