FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
rolawson

410 Turkey

dogrunner

Nice bird, good job getting it that close. 

rolawson

Not a turkey killed with a .410 but I had it on the hunt. My wife killed this one this morning. We had stopped to pick some mushrooms and I paused to make a few calls. This bird answered. My wife had just sit down and this bird came running and I mean running. Got to love those 2 year old gobblers. Of course my wife asked how she looked when I took the photo.

Peg's turkey 1st.jpg

EB&Me

Respectable beard, but really respectable mushrooms.

Brad Eden
34 minutes ago, rolawson said:

Not a turkey killed with a .410 but I had it on the hunt. My wife killed this one this morning. We had stopped to pick some mushrooms and I paused to make a few calls. This bird answered. My wife had just sit down and this bird came running and I mean running. Got to love those 2 year old gobblers. Of course my wife asked how she looked when I took the photo.

Peg's turkey 1st.jpg

She looks great, tell her!

rolawson

Not my preferred method of turkey hunting but it worked. I had the morning off and wanted to hunt but the weather man was saying 100 percent chance of rain. I chose to take the blind to stay dry. I have seen a couple of strutters in a small field while I have been working. I figured the birds were entering the field using this old haul road. This bird entered the field 100 yards away from me. I made a couple of calls and this bird came running and damn near ran past me. I couldn't wait any longer for him to stop and let the little 410 make the stop for him. The shot was 6 yards. 

Ray's 2nd.jpg

mister grouse

Pretty Fair weekend for you.  I am surprised someone as traditional as you owns such a blind though.  Not disappointed.  Just surprised.  Maybe you borrowed it?  I understand from  other sources things really accelerated last few days  in the turkey world of your area.  And your report proves it I guess.  Very nice.  .

rolawson
5 hours ago, mister grouse said:

Pretty Fair weekend for you.  I am surprised someone as traditional as you owns such a blind though.  Not disappointed.  Just surprised.  Maybe you borrowed it?  I understand from  other sources things really accelerated last few days  in the turkey world of your area.  And your report proves it I guess.  Very nice.  .

I think the hens are starting to set. I also believe that the numbers are down, has been for the last couple of years. I have been going to work around 7 every morning and have been hearing a bird or two each shift. The hunters I am checking are not hearing many either.

hobbes

Congrats on the 410 birds and your wife's bird.  Are you using factory amo or something reloaded?  I only ask because I know there is a fairly large number of guys reloading to use 'smaller' shotguns for turkeys. 

rolawson
2 hours ago, hobbes said:

Congrats on the 410 birds and your wife's bird.  Are you using factory amo or something reloaded?  I only ask because I know there is a fairly large number of guys reloading to use 'smaller' shotguns for turkeys. 

I am using factory, federal 3" 7.5 shot. Keep my shots within 25 yards. 

hobbes

2 hours ago, rolawson said:

I am using factory, federal 3" 7.5 shot. Keep my shots within 25 yards. 

That is awesome!