• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
2shot

Opening day

2shot

Today was our opener for spring turkey. My wife and I were up at dark-thirty this morning to head out the the farm. We set up about 150 yards apart, me near where they roost and her at one of their favorite "sneak outs" at the end if the bush. I had some gobbling behind me before the sun came up but he wouldn't show himself. About 20 minutes after he went quiet I heard a shot from the other end if the bush. He came out to check out her decoy and her 870 fed him his final breakfast. Not a big bird but he's food on the table. Weighed in at about 15 lbs. 

FB_IMG_1493138456491_zpsgql563iz.jpg

While we were taking pictures a flock of 6 or 7 birds went trotting through the next field over so we quickly ducked in the blind and tried to call them over. No luck but 4 deer came across the field to check us out. 

Things were pretty quiet after that except for one hen that came to check out the decoy.

FB_IMG_1493170297027_zpskyrdxk5m.jpg

All in all not a bad opening day. 

vabirddog

Congrats! Fine start.

Brad Eden

Very cool. My wife is a turkey hunter too. She does some Upland hunting with me but has really gotten the turkey bug. I'm taking her out this coming Monday on the Maine Opener.

dogrunner

Nice, nothing wrong with a small bird, I have taken a few, better than eating tag soup. 

Michael Stenstrom

Congrats!!

TJK68

Congrats!!!!

hobbes

Congrats!

Brad Eden

Thought I'd piggy back on this Opening Day thread. Me and my buddy Scott's youth bailed on us for tomorrow's Maine Youth day, so will be out in the regular Opener Monday....maybe. Forecast is for rain all day. I'm not as crazy hardcore as I once was so may pass until better weather later in week. 

2shot
On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Brad Eden said:

Very cool. My wife is a turkey hunter too. She does some Upland hunting with me but has really gotten the turkey bug. I'm taking her out this coming Monday on the Maine Opener.

My wife has turned into a pretty hard core turkey hunter. She's the same with deer. I think it's the "cat and mouse" aspect, the scouting, the patterning, trying to out smart them. She go on the odd upland bird hunt with me but it's not really her thing. 

We've been out almost ever day this week and have these turkeys pretty much patterned. The hens have been coming by the blind almost every time we've been out. There's a bigger tom out there too but he's been just out of reach in the mornings and not returning to roost until well after 7:00pm in the evenings (we can't hunt turkeys past 7 pm here). I may take tomorrow off work and head out after that tom.