FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Clueless1

How long before vet visit?

Clueless1

Ran my dog in a UFTA firld trial Sunday.  He was fine Monday, no signs of tightness soreness etc.  Was traveling for work yesterday and get a text from my wife that he won't put weight on his back leg.  Didn't get home until 1am, but had to carry him up the steps.  Today looks like a little better, but not much.  He won't even straighten it out.  It's not a pad or anything with the foot.  No wound that is bleeding or anything.  

When do you take him to the vet?   

salmontogue
4 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

Ran my dog in a UFTA firld trial Sunday.  He was fine Monday, no signs of tightness soreness etc.  Was traveling for work yesterday and get a text from my wife that he won't put weight on his back leg.  Didn't get home until 1am, but had to carry him up the steps.  Today looks like a little better, but not much.  He won't even straighten it out.  It's not a pad or anything with the foot.  No wound that is bleeding or anything.  

When do you take him to the vet?   

Now

Perk

Clueless1
1 hour ago, salmontogue said:

Now

Perk

Making an appt now.  Thank you.

Clueless1

Well, got the little guy in.  Right now we are hoping that it is Lyme causing his knee joint to swell.  The swelling needs to go down before she will tell me anything definitive.  Hoping that a round of doxycycline will restore him.  If not, next week he goes in for xrays for hips and/or acl.  He is kenneled for today, which kills him and my family. 

studdog

Lyme is nothing to hope for. Unless caught early, It can seriously debilitate a dog and effect it for years.

Clueless1
1 hour ago, studdog said:

Lyme is nothing to hope for. Unless caught early, It can seriously debilitate a dog and effect it for years.

I agree, but not sure the alternatives are better.  Best case is Lyme, we caught it early, doxy takes care of it and in a month I've got my dog back to normal and this is behind us.  Worst case is hip displasia.  Somewhere in the middle is ACL.  

I think that's the way I rank them.  I don't know much about the hip dysplasia.  All I know about it is that he came with a guarantee on hips.  Is it something I could have caused?   

studdog

Not likely,  These dogs drive themselves hard by nature of their heredity.  It's our responsibility too watch them carefully for early signs of injury.  That's another reason for regular vet visits.  the price of a vet visit is nothing compared to the overall cost of owning a dog for its lifetime. FWIW

Clueless1

Thank you for replying.  I'm driving myself nuts here with a waiting game.  I keep thinking I'm going to walk in the room and let him out of the kennel to see him bound off normal.  I haven't even told the kids anything yet, all they think is he needs rest. 

If it's the hips, is he done hunting/field trialing etc? 

SLR

You didn't give the age or breed of your dog, but HD doesn't usually appear suddenly after a single episode of exertion. You also wrote that the knee joint is swollen. Thus most likely the problem is that knee. Hip dysplasia is a systemic disease, but the hips are the joints that are most likely to produce symptoms.  It is caused by quite a number of quantitative trait loci and often there will be a history of it in the dog's pedigree. I doubt from what you wrote that this is a hip problem. The swollen knee is the critical observation I would think. It could be an acute arthritis due to Lyme, and other joints may begin to show symptoms. There is often fever with Lyme or Anaplasmosis as well. If you don't see dramatic improvement in 24 to 72 hours on the Doxy, Lyme/Anaplasmosis becomes less likely. Also since the dog has symptoms, the Snap 4 Dx test would be expected to be positive. A good physical exam of the knee will show laxity, if it is a CCL rupture, but a partial tear can be harder to diagnose and perhaps the images will help there. The knee could be tapped and a microscopic exam of the fluid done, that would help with the Dx. A CCL rupture is not something you like to see, but at least there are surgical treatments available. 

Clueless1

Thanks all.  He is an 18 month old lab.  I woke up today to a happy, normal puppy badgering his older brother again :D.   I would put the leg at 90% this morning.  Every once in awhile he would still lift it, but for the most part was bearing weight, and if he was interested in something it was working fine.  Wow, these guys can put us through some stress! 

shoot-straight

dont rush it. even if its just a sprain, it needs lots of time. think how long it take a human sprained ankle or knee to heal (weeks to months). admittedly, dogs seem to heal quicker, but you get my point. 

Ray Gubernat

Clueless -

Sounds like it might well be a bacterial infection working. 

There are several bacterial agents that can cause lameness.  There is one that is in rodent droppings.  If your dog is like mine, rabbit poop is something of a delicacy .  Some of them, like Lyme, can take a VERY long time to eradicate completely from the body. 

Do yourself and your dog a favor. Keep the dog on Doxy for at least six weeks after he is symptom free.

If your vet does  not want to give you additional antibiotics, you can probably get what you need from Thomas Labs or a large animal vet.

I keep a supply on hand and if a dog presents with lameness that does not have an obvious physical cause, like a blown pad or localized pain on manipulation, the dog goes on antibiotics for a few days.   If the lameness goes away after  couple of days on antibiotics, it is a good bet that your dog got infected somewhere. 

RayG

DocE
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:21 PM, SLR said:

A CCL rupture is not something you like to see, but at least there are surgical treatments available. 

And quite possibly a non-surgical fix.  Our dog had a significantly torn (90%+) CCL, it was literally hanging on 'by a thread'.

We treated it with "Cold Laser".  He healed up in half the time it would have taken with surgery and now (5 years post) he is still doing just fine.

There are a lot of junk cold lasers on the market and only a couple that work well.

One is the Erchonia and the other is the K Laser.

SLR
18 hours ago, DocE said:

And quite possibly a non-surgical fix.  Our dog had a significantly torn (90%+) CCL, it was literally hanging on 'by a thread'.

We treated it with "Cold Laser".  He healed up in half the time it would have taken with surgery and now (5 years post) he is still doing just fine.

There are a lot of junk cold lasers on the market and only a couple that work well.

One is the Erchonia and the other is the K Laser.

Good to know. I bet it saves some real money as well.

frak

This is UJ at its best.  I learned a lot reading through the posts.  We are sending the very best of our good thoughts your way!  Best wishes for a speedy & full recovery.