FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Juvenile Delinquents

Brad Eden

I did some Scouting yesterday morning with buddy Scott. (Our youth bailed on youth day so we scouted instead) Located several gobbling Toms. Glassed a couple and put them in the future file. We encountered a gang of Jakes. We counted 10. Not kidding, one may have been a small 2 year old. We were driving into an area in a dirt road when they crossed in front of us. We let them disappear and moved a distance way, prospecting for mature birds. When we got close to where they disappeared we couldn't resist seeing if we could get them going. Did some cuts and all hell broke loose about 50 yards in the woods down a logging trail. We laughed out loud at the sound of 10 Jakes chain gobbling. I should have tried to record it. It was literally a riot. Nice find, for any new hunter we take out and my JoAnn has limited time to hunt and has no problem shooting a Jake. All indications are with two moderate and mild Maine winters we have a slew of birds out there.

Natty Bumpo

"Gang of Jakes"  LOL

Exactly what I called in on Day one of my one week season. A gang of five, a 'Jake Quintet' came blustering up to a blind I was sitting at a known long beard strutting site on a food plot. Have some nice trail cam pics this spring and saw a long beard 3YO in there last deer season. They stuck together like ticks and came within 25 yds of the blind chain gobbling their fool heads off. And playing grabass all the while too.

I could have killed 2-3 of the fools with one load of Nitro Ray's Heavy Shot 4,5,7s. But I gave them a pass as the landowner has two young budding turkey hunters. Those jakes would make perfect "first turkeys" for them. And I know he appreciated it.

charlo slim

Fun stuff.  Several years back, during an unusually tough season on our annual turkey hunt with kids from a nearby youth ranch, I had a gang of 7 jakes come storming up to our setup.  They were acting like.... well, as you say, like a gang of juvenile delinquents. Rowdy, raucous, horny, clueless, etc.  Anyway, they came charging right in and clustered up into a tight bunch, maybe 25 yards in front of the blind.  It was likely going to be the only chance available and I gave the young hunter an OK to shoot, though fearing that he just might smack 2 or 3 of them in 1 shot.  Somehow, he managed to miss the entire pod.  Both the young hunter and I were disappointed of course, but I was also a bit relieved.  Cannot really say whether or not the JD's learned anything from the event?

Michael Stenstrom

I remember one year when we had a lot more birds finding several gangs of jakes, that would run toms off and bully them.