• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
rawhide

New KNOTSMITH Web Page Coming Soon

rawhide

I've not been able to edit/update my KNOTSMITH web page for about two years because the software it was built with is long outdated and no-longer-supported.  So, after the web host's threats  to close it down completely, I am having it professionally updated and renovated. This is nothing compared to the mountain-moving event Brad managed in transferring UJ to new software, but it is enough for me.

The revised web page will be better organized, less verbose, and, frankly, rather sparse.  And, therefore, I am assured,  it will be "mobile friendly."  Google and my web page host have  frequently reminded that  web pages that are not mobile friendly are assigned very low ratings/rakings and thus suffer in web searches.  And the web professionals are frequently reminding me of that too.  One observed that my old page was obviously homemade, rather "primitive," and too folksy.  OK, I get that. It is a rather accurate description of me in fact, but however accurate, his observation removed him from further consideration.

The new web page is supposed to facilitate and expedite the ordering process. I am in favor of that.   Even so, I will continue to take steps to insure that I understand how each customer wants his or her lanyard to fit, work, and look.  That part is very personal for the customer and for me.  Else why pay me to custom braid a lanyard? 

Finally, since I've not been able to increase my prices in several years, inevitably there will  be a new price list.   My costs have increased markedly during those years (including getting the bleeping web page redone!).  So, the real point of this grumpy post is to give you on UJ a heads up  (and this disclosure is limited to UJ):  If you have any interest in ordering a custom-made lanyard from me anytime soon, you can save about 15% by getting your order on my book before the new web page comes out of the chute bucking and snorting sometime early this summer.   Hey, I try to treat my customers as I would wish to be treated.

There.  Thank you for reading this.  As you were.  Carry on.    It is going to be a long, hot, dry summer, but I wish you good seasons this fall. 

Larry

Brad Eden

Keep us posted on the launch of the new Knotsmith website. I'll Swap out your Sponsor ad URL and announce it to the UJ faithful. I feel your pain, in spades.

rawhide

So far as I know the host and URL will be the same (it had better be!).  Although the target date for completing the rebuild launch is mid-June, I am skeptical about it being completed by then. I am the rate determining step.

Also, I am considering discontinuing accepting payment by credit cards.  The fees for that are almost 5%, and the hassle factor has increase considerably.  Data during the past year indicate that most of my customers are comfortable paying with checks.  I doubt that discontinuing the merchant services account will have much effect on the volume of business, and  if I decide not to accept payment by credit cards, I probably will not increase prices quite as much as I indicated above.  Anyone who feels strongly about that should contact me.

In any case, either way,  anyone wanting a lanyard for the start of the fall seasons should get an order confirmed this month.  Thank you.

rawhide

It has been a long haul this summer, but the new KNOTSMITH web page arrived and went live last evening.  It works (functions) on my smart phone, so that objective was accomplished in the revision.  I dunno about the revised content and the ordering process. Time will tell.  Customers will let me know about that.   I figure it is still best for customers to call me and discuss what they want to carry and  their fit, and appearance choices.  If you have comments or suggestions, I will welcome and consider them.  Thanks. LS.

Brad Eden

Nice new website Larry. Clean, classy and easy to navigate.