FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Dogwood

WTH???

Dogwood

So my season started this week; the initial 2 seasons were the last 2 weeks in April. Sun-Tues super crap weather with cold rain and wind. Wednesday opens bright , sunny, cool, zero wind.  I figure it's gonna be a good day for a tom to die.  Zero gobbling anywhere, no responses. Spent the entire day at multiple private land spots that had not been hunted.  Nyet all frickin' day. Run and gun, no run at  all,  deserted.   Even driving around, other than the occasional lone hen nobody home. Like they all vaporized.

What do it mean?!?!  I'm sure many of the hens are nesting by now and maybe the big toms are out smoking a cigarette somewhere but I'd think I'd see a few jakes cruising.  Nope.

dogrunner

Sometimes they just lay low for a couple days and don't even call much. This cold wet weather might have shut them down. Hens could be nesting but it is a little early. Mine starts Monday. Good luck and keep after them. 

WPG Gizmo

The weather plays a big part in how vocal they are and if they are with the Hens they have no need to sound off.  It has been the same around here today was the first really nice day this week but the birds did not get vocal until well into the morning after they had left the Hens.  The birds are there they are just quite.

vabirddog

We went from hot humid to cool and clear mon/tues. I thought they would rip its ties am. 1st time this year no gobble heard. They have been back since though. Big change put them off I guess.