FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Flairball

Tick protection for pregnant dog?

Flairball

For those of you who have bred your dog, what do you recommend for tick protection. Obviously I can't use the regular chemical formulas. Any of the all natural solutions actually work safely? 

SLR

Actually, topical permethrin products should be safe enough. Take BioSpot for example; you are applying about 3 ml of a 40% solution topically.  This amounts to about 1.2 gms on say a 20kg dog, thus .06 gms/kg once every 3 or 4 wks. That is total dose of 60 mg/kg topically, and tests show about 0.5% is absorbed systemically, so baring licking off the application, that amounts to 0.3 mg/kg. Toxicity studies showed that 50mg/kg daily was safe in pregnant animals, which is more than a 100 times greater and permethrin has not shown carcinogenicity.  So you have to weigh such data against the risk of tick borne disease where you live and the fact that many of these diseases will cross the placenta and infect the fetus. 

See: http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/archive/Permtech.html

Otherwise you can rinse the dog off after being in the field, comb with a flea comb and manually remove any ticks found promptly.  The conventional wisdom that a tick has to feed 24 hours or more to transmit Lyme disease has been disputed and other tick borne diseases transmit more quickly during a bite. 

It is not a bad idea to be wary of any drugs and chemicals during pregnancy, but you do have to look at the data (assuming there is data). Not every chemical/drug is teratogenic. 

Dogwood
On 5/4/2017 at 3:13 PM, Flairball said:

1) Obviously I can't use the regular chemical formulas. 2) Any of the all natural solutions actually work safely? 

1)  Not true.  Consult your vet as to which are safe and effective. That's why you pay them. You can also pull up a pdf on any of them and check for yourself.  Here's one

Simparica

2)  Who knows as they aren't properly tested to know.  I can tell you anecdotally they're worthless.  

Flairball

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll look closely at this info. Today is day 30 since the breeding, and I'm pretty sure it took, but would like to see a bit more evidence. Tick protection is an essential, and I know both my wife and I are getting a little tired of repeated combings and checks. Ginger, however, never tires of the attention and what she views as a good snuggle. 

SLR

Larval ticks are too small to remove with a comb and you don't feel them until they swell with a blood meal. The larva will be emerging starting now. 

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/life_cycle_and_hosts.html

In the time window of 30 to 35 days, you can often feel the fetuses by careful GENTLE palpation (ping-pong balls). Another clue is to carefully measure the abdomen circumference and track it daily-make a graph. From this time onward you will detect gradual increase in the waist size.  Nipples will start to change around day 40. 

Have fun with your coming litter.