Brad Eden

Find the right bird...

Brad Eden

Congrats Mike. Thought I had found my second "right" bird dead to rights this morning. Spotted a lone gobbler in a field. Knew the area. Went in and called him from that field to an adjacent field where I was set up with one hen decoy set low because I didn't dare get into field with him close. He crossed through a deep wet and brushy gully into my field, full strut, gobbling his ass off all the way across to me. It was a safety off moment....until he took a left and entered the woods to my right and circled me staying out of range and then just shut down. I don't think he could even see the decoy. He was as close to the right bird as they come. Bastard.

mccuha
8 hours ago, Michael Stenstrom said:

Found mine this morning.  Had a bird on the roost who blew out a different way.  Crossed the road, and called up to the edge of my buddies property.  Gobbles.  Sit down side by side.  Some more clucks and yelps on the box and they are coming.  A string of jakes with a tom strutting in the caboose position.  The jakes all ball up on the field edge looking in the woods at us.  Tom struts past and lifts head.  My buddy can't get a shot due to branches and jakes.  iI pull the trigger and he does a back flip and flaps a few times.

IMG_0461.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

Michael what kind of call is that in the picture?  Is it a custom call. It resemble a box call a friend of my father in law  used to make before he passed.

Roost em 1st

Nice work all around. 

Auto-5

Thanks all for sharing. I'm not able to hunt this spring so I'm living  vicariously thru your pictures.

vabirddog

Congrats all!

Brad Eden

Coulda shoulda...wasn't a mile from my house on my morning errand run at around 8:00 when I saw a hen alongside the road. Hen means there must be a Tom close by. I kept driving, turned around and planned to pull over and shoot some calls. But when I got there a Tom or what I thought was a mature gobbler was about to cross right where that hen was. He wasn't spooked being use to cars, but turned and walked back in woods. I caught a glimpse of a thin beard, and I figured it was wet since it's been raining for days here and was likely a nice paintbrush. I kept driving a couple hundred yards to where I knew there was a jeep trail that wound back to where that bird was going. I figured he would come back out to the road and cross. I geared up and hustled down the jeep trail and then up on a ridge. I sat down against a tree and did a call, and I was right. He had crossed the road and was less than 100 yards away and gobbling. I gave him a few more yelps and waited. Soon I saw the tip of a fan coming through the woods. Problem was it had a nice notch in the fan. A Jake. He was gobbling, displaying and had the red, white and blue head of a mature gobbler, but his tail gave him away. Damn, I wasn't ready to end the season with a Jake, yet. I didn't have a decoy out and here is where it got interesting. I am a bit trigger happy so depending on how twitchy I got I may shoot this bird. He came in and held up at around 40 yards, looking, displaying, looking pacing, pirouetting...he was dead all day if I wanted, but I figured he'd come closer and give me a better look and time to decide. But he was a nice big Jake, all alone and obviously a dominant one, and he knew there should be a hen exactly where I was sitting, but he didn't see one. I purred, I scratched leaves but it was a 40 yard shot or none at all. I decided to let him go. I shut up and it took a good ten minutes for him to calm down and wander off out of sight. I hopped up and scooted out so as not to spook him too bad, in case I came back sometime looking for him. 

Most all the birds Ive worked and the one I shot held up at 30-40 yards when they didn't see a hen. I'm gonna have my hen decoy at the ready for the next birds to try and get them a bit closer.

Brad Eden

IMG_0303.JPG

Scotts college kids came down this morning. Ethan and Chelsea, long story short...spotted 6 or so Jakes cross a road into some fields. Watched their direction of travel...crawled through incredibly thick woods to a corner of another field where they were headed. Did some calling with raspy mouth calls doing the trick...they all trooped into view and within range looking curious and a couple ended up looking dead. I've been helping others including JoAnn after this hunt, but she hasn't scored yet. I might head out this afternoon solo and that's it for a week. I'm heading south to NJ and to my daughters grad school graduation for most of next week. Good news is I just got permission yesterday to turkey hunt a 450 acre dairy farm that's only a 5 minute drive from the house. The farmer said killemall!

Michael Stenstrom

Nice Job on getting those two some birds!  Todd it is a call I make and sell.  I got the pattern form an old NWTF video I was given about a call maker from the south.

mccuha
On ‎05‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:42 AM, Michael Stenstrom said:

Nice Job on getting those two some birds!  Todd it is a call I make and sell.  I got the pattern form an old NWTF video I was given about a call maker from the south.

the call maker from the south wasn't by chance Neil Cost

Michael Stenstrom

Why yes it was!

mccuha
5 hours ago, Michael Stenstrom said:

Why yes it was!

I thought it looked like one of his calls. The side to me was a give away He was a trip. He and my in law were really good friends. He gave him quite a few calls. We were as well in a hunt club together.

WWII vet with the scars to prove it. He seemed to know everyone from all over the country and seemed to hunt with them from all over as well. For the longest never knew his calls were famous and valuable. I ran into Davis Love a few years ago during masters week. Basicly asked him what he was doing in our sleepy town. He was here to buy a few cost calls from a guy. My in law has a call from what I have been told Neil didn't make many. It's a push button call. Another thing i'm not sure if a lot new this but he used dead cedar that he would cut and cure for another 5-10 years before he would even think of using it. Be careful if you purchase any of his calls. There was a guy I know that was a apprentice of Neil's. He began to make calls just Like Neil's and sell them as a Cost call.

Michael Stenstrom

Thanks!  You know a lot more about it him than I do.  I had heard of him, and traded hunts with a guy from Georgia who did a lot with the NWTF,  He gave the video.  I use a variety of woods.  I am sure they are not nearly as good as the original, but they seem to work fine on Maine birds.

Brad Eden

Just getting back on the horse since losing last week to a graduation trip to NJ. Haven't found my right second bird yet. I did get out yesterday morning about an hour after flydown. Headed to a huge blueberry barren cleared on the side of a local mountain. I've killed birds there before and knew there was at least one good Tom in residence. No gobbles whatsoever, but found him in a corner of the barren with three hens. He wouldn't gobble nor would he or hens come to investigate my calling. They all meandered away uphill with him in front in full strut, which was strange....Not that he was in strut or not gobbling, but that he was leading the hens, not the other way around. I waited with black flies blocking my vision til they were out of sight over a rise and cut the distance in half. They still had no interest in calls, I probably should have tried to get a deke out. Finally, I stripped off my vest and with just a mouth call basically crawled through the barren keeping the tip of his tail in view. I got to 60 yards and could still see the full fan over the rise. I needed another 20 yards. I crawled, took a deep breath, clicked off safety and rose to smack him. He was gone and so were the hens. I have a collapsible fabric fan, but didn't have it with me. I may have been able to do that sneak if I had the fan in front of me. I'll never know. They probably heard me rustling through the ankle thick blueberry bushes and screwed. I take them as they come and have no problem in stalking, using the lay of land etc., if a Gobbler won't cooperate with calls. Not this time.

Michael Stenstrom

Sounds like a good hunt.  Dang turkeys

Brad Eden

Well, it appears I've found my grudge bird. Same Tom from my last post. I snuck in again to the same spot a couple hours after flydown and there were birds out in that same corner of the blueberry barren. I did hear a couple gobbles on my way in provoked by some passing crows who were Cawing. There were three Jakes, the big Tom and a few hens. He was in full strut about 100 yards away with hens around him. The Jakes were wandering 100 yards away left to right. I was crouched at the  end of a trail, well hidden. I was careful and did a few very light yelps, to test all the birds temperature. No gobbles. One hen started walking my way. The Jakes stood watching that hen....and that frickin gobbler broke strut and quickly walked away at an angle to the wood line and out of sight. This spot is not hunted by anyone else I don't think, and find it unusual that he would have been harassed by other hunters and became call shy. The hen kept coming and walked into my lap, looking, looking, looking, at as close as 5 yards away. The Jakes broke and followed her to me and milled around in front of me at a ridiculously close range. I had my heart set on that gobbler and let them get bored and walk away. When they were a distance away, I called more aggressively, but no response from the gobbler. When the hens and Jakes disappeared from view I crept out, looking for that Tom. Once again he had vanished. If I have time I'll try and do a flydown hunt and sneak in well above where these birds have been hanging out early morning, set out a deke and wait that bastard out.