• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Brad Eden

Find the right bird...

polecat

Last evening as I was in the yard I spied 3 birds in the freshly planted field, one long beard(100 yards). I rushed the dogs in the house and fumbled with my locked gun case.Walked down the woods and saw them beatin to the thick stuff. Have not heard a gobble all season here.legal to hunt all day here now.This morning as I was getting ready to leave a gobble 300 yards away.Chuckleworthy..

Michael Stenstrom

Good luck!

Brad Eden

We still have until this Saturday but gobbling has about completely stopped. Fields are grown up before first haying and hiding birds. The best way to hunt them is my fall method of driving around and spotting birds moving across roads or in fields and maneuvering to get in front of their line of travel etc.

And Poults have landed. I was sneaking through a field edge a couple days ago looking for birds and momma hen burst from the knee high field almost in my face. Then I saw movement on the ground and took this photo. Momma putted around me and even moved close and flushed again to entice me away. 

IMG_0319.JPG

Coalman

Don't give up until the fat lady sings. They are still gobbling. Our backyard bird is in the gobbler rut. He is gobbling at 3 PM and 9 PM. He is hot. Roared this morning starting at 04:30.

He had two hens last week. He was alone when I saw him Sunday in full display. I have been having a great time practicing my calling with him.

Report from my Maine Guide buddy says if you can stand the mosquitos it is time to hunt.

This late in the season they are where you find them. Time to switch from visible to verbal.

Natty Bumpo
32 minutes ago, Coalman said:

Report from my Maine Guide buddy says if you can stand the mosquitos it is time to hunt.

This late in the season they are where you find them. Time to switch from visible to verbal.

Roger that. We had a Boss gobbler skulking around our farm last fall and this spring too. I had First Season, first time, long time, and was pretty pumped up about it. He was henned up pretty bad all during that time and could not get him to come in the two days I hunted down there.

Hint for hunting in the late season: ThermoCELL  (Don't leave home with out it) THE ANSWER  for mosquitos, gnats and black flies.

Brad Eden
58 minutes ago, Coalman said:

Don't give up until the fat lady sings. They are still gobbling. Our backyard bird is in the gobbler rut. He is gobbling at 3 PM and 9 PM. He is hot. Roared this morning starting at 04:30.

He had two hens last week. He was alone when I saw him Sunday in full display. I have been having a great time practicing my calling with him.

I never give up. It's a problem. This Master Maine Guide says not here. They aren't gobbling. Not this morning either. Until they do, if they do, it's spot and stalk.

Oh, and ticks, mosquitoes, and black flies don't bother or hinder my hunting. It's part of being in the out of doors. B|

Coalman

A buddy took double adult toms in Maine today. One at 09:30 the other at 12:10.

Brad Eden
Just now, Coalman said:

A buddy took double adult toms in Maine today. One at 09:30 the other at 12:10.

Nice. I didn't get out at flydown but did some prospecting mid to late morning, while running errands and not a gobble...where I live and hunt in Maine. Maine is a big state, as you know. Could have chased some non-gobbling Jakes I encountered but not enough time or desire.

Coalman

He posted the story today. No gobbles yesterday until the fog lifted at 0800. Both toms had hens. It was the hens that came that killed the toms.

Just like my bird, hens can sure get a gobbler in trouble. :)

max2

Here's one for you turkey hunters. During the season last month this guy was out in my front yard. Strut'n for a while.  Long enough that I decided to get a camera.

001.JPG