• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Tim Frazier

Wet/Windy/Cold

Tim Frazier

Wet/cold/raining, but when it's your day off you suck it up and go hunting. After you sleep in till 8 that is. I set up in an area of the farm slightly different than I have in past years but with all the water laying around I thought it might give me an advantage. Luck is a hunters friend and this big Jake (6" beard) came in gobbling less than 30 minutes after I set up. I enjoy doing it old school so it was just my butt on the ground, no blinds, no decoys, a couple of 20 y/o calls, old buffered XX baby mag 6s and a full choke.  I have shot birds in the past using blinds, decoys, special chokes, pretty calls and such but the last 5 years I've gone simple.  Some would say I've always  been simple ;-)

Spturkey3.jpg

Spturkey.jpg

Spturkey1.jpg

Spturkey2.jpg

dogrunner

Looks like your "Kicking it Old School", nice job. 

Brad Eden

Simply cool.

TJK68

Cool, nice job!

WPG Gizmo

Old school is the best school :D

atticus

Same box call I am using. I bought it in college many moons ago. You're  giving me hope!!!

Tim Frazier
45 minutes ago, atticus said:

Same box call I am using. I bought it in college many moons ago. You're  giving me hope!!!

25 years of turkey hunting and I have yet to find a box that sounds as good to me.  I have a couple nice hand made ones but they just aren't quite the same.  I believe I found it in a Walmart back in the early 90s when we lived in Virginia.  The push-pull box is almost as old, I have tried many times to up grade both but the results speak for themselves.  The gentleman who taught me to turkey hunt chewed tobacco and thus never used mouth calls, I've messed with them but just never warmed up to having one in my mouth.

tut

Cool.  Those push/pull calls make some of the nicest yelps for sure.  I have had a couple and goodness knows where they are because I lose everything.

studdog

Nice bird!

rolawson

There is something about using old school and simplicity that makes turkey hunting better. Good Job!

Michael Stenstrom

Nice job!!