• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
SODAKer

Finally got one

SODAKer

Got out to roost birds last evening and heard one but couldn't tell if he was in the creek bottom or up on the saddle. Arrived at 0545 with my hunting pard and got set up overlooking the creek bottom. At 0600 the saddle above and across from us erupted with gobbling. No way were those birds gonna be called in as there is a field they like to hang up in when roosted in that area. So we hauled ass down into the creek bottom and up the adjacent ridge where we set up on the edge. The birds were talkative but no movement toward out direction. Once they hit the ground we figured we'd try to get around the point and call from there. We hauled ass again and got set up on a flat where one bird flew out but apparently didn't see us. We sat for a bit and hammered it out with a gobbler up on a ridge across from us and two others that were hanging out to our right side and below. This goes on for 30 minutes and then a hen gets involved and starts putting down in the bottom and we hear birds going away gobbling. Couple minutes later after some soft calling the gobbler across from us gets fired up and then goes quiet. I finally see him silently come up from the bottom but he veers to the right and scoots out the side and down the ridge after not seeing the hen he was looking for. We quickly regrouped and hauled ass again back around the ridge, down through the creek bottom and up the side hill to a small opening overlooking a field. Hit the box call pretty hard and got hammered back at. We dropped and waited back off the edge. The gobbler was steadily making his way up the field on a two track and when he cleared the brush pile in front of me he popped his head at the sound of a gentle cluck. Taken with my grandfather's Wingmaster and box call.

TJK68

Congrats!!!

Chops

Nice work.  Were you in the Hills by chance?  The birds have been pretty tight lipped for me so far this season. 

hobbes

Congrats!

SODAKer

Chops, I've been hunting a mixture of hardwoods and farmland in VA. Been a mixed bag of gobbling from blow your socks off to getting nothing.

Just talked with a friend out in SD yesterday about hunting the Hills, but he didnt have much to offer as he primarily hunts big game and pheasant in the central part of the state.  How are the Hills generally for turkey?  

Chops

Ha, I just assumed from your handle that you lived here, my mistake.  Glad you've been having success.  In my experience the Hills can be hit or miss, but I'm also a fairly apathetic turkey hunter.  I've killed a few birds over the years in both spring and fall.  But rarely do I hear much gobbling.  It also seems like I see less and less birds every year.  And the SDGFP keeps reducing the number of Fall tags which seems to be an indication of falling populations.  Maybe its rough winters, maybe it's mountain lions, who knows. 

That said, it's some of the most spectacular turkey country I've ever hunted and there's plenty of public land.  Open ponderosa forests, amazing geology, and beautiful streams.  It's pretty perfect for run and gun hunting, which is my preferred strategy.  I can't really stand to sit still for more than an hour or so, which is probably why I don't have more success.  And if the turkey hunting sucks one day, I just quit and go trout fishing on the way home.  I never get skunked fishing.   

SODAKer

Chops, I'm with you on run and gun, that's how I go about it as well unless I fall asleep at the base of a tree. I  know I've blown a few birds due to a lack of patience and silent birds frustrate the hell out of me. 

Michael Stenstrom

Congrats!  Way to keep working it.