FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Coalman

Rainy Day

Coalman

Met Steven at 0430. No gobbling on the roost. Went trolling. Moving out of piece #1 turkey gobbled from where we were a short time ago.

Never gobbled again.

While calling to him another answered by where the vehicles were. Heading to him we had a close encounter in a sand pit my son and I dueled a gobbler in last year. Could he be back?

Trolled a couple more miles in some beautiful river bottom habitat. Got soaked to the bone. Exit stage right for two eggs over easy. One of the patrons asked us if we had any luck. We said no. It wasn't five minute later he was back at our table with a picture of a young lady who just scored on a big tom. A short while later the successful lady and her dad showed up to share breakfast with our new friend. I love the mom and pop diners where proud parents show off the pictures of their hunting kids.

That is the New Hampshire I grew up in.

We were back in the woods around 0930. We decided on stealth and worked the field edges. Creeping along the road to the rise we spotted three turkeys below us. We did a 90 degree turn into the woods and setup above them.

Called and they came right in. This was Steven's hunt. He had hunted turkey in the past but had never scored.

Did I mentioned it rained all day?

Being behind his hide I saw him raise his gun but never heard a shot. The turkeys half circled us and in no time went right back to the field where we first spotted them. We set up on the other side of the rise in the field and they ignored Henrietta. It hurt her feelings.

Steven snuck back up the hill and yup they were still there with one displaying. Did I mention it was raining?

By the time we did an end around we had twenty five minutes to noon. I got the thumbs up from Steven when the calling began. Turkeys on the move.

At ten minutes to twelve I saw three red heads pop up in the green field on a direct route to cross right in front of Steven. Forget turkey hunting videos. I watched it live.

One last thing. We both mentioned it rained the hardest all day when he was filling out his tag. And then the sun came out.

Pretty good omen for a guy who just shot his first wild turkey.

590e6e7176f24_Steven14.4poundjake05-06-17web.jpg.4e52b6733cab882601cadb7ec5008195.jpg

Congrats Steven

590e6e83e5880_Steven14.4poundjake05-06-17itsoverweb.jpg.63d71ec8e15ba6054ee62ddce9fd798b.jpg

TJK68

CONGRATS!!

WPG Gizmo

Nice hunt and way to go on the first bird

polecat

Nice work. It sure did rain.

Tim Frazier

You got to love those wet fans!  Hard earned for sure.

gunsrus

Well done .

mister grouse

Sometimes it just works out despite obstacles.  Rainy day birds can be easier to bag I think but sure make for lousy photo models compared to those in the sunshine and all dried out.  But if it is your first bird who cares how wet it is. .  Congrats to you and Steven.

vabirddog

I think I will start taking a breakfast break. I mean you have till noon , why rush it?!! Congrats!!

hobbes

Congrats.

Michael Stenstrom

Congrats!