2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Bird Buster

When to Let Go of Old Truck? New Purchase?

Bird Buster

Here is my current situation. I have a 99 Chevy Z71 extended cab that I have 311,000 miles on. I bought brand new and it has been a great truck. Besides normal maint. It has given me minimal problems. I have never had the engine worked on. Transmission rebuilt around 230K. It still runs and drives great does use a little oil as to be expected. AC just went out so I need to replace compressor at around 750.00. Do I fix the AC and continue to drive or purchase another used truck and take my chances on possible maint. issues? My truck is only used for around 8K MILES a year now so it is mainly just a 3rd vehicle for hunting and occasional light hauling duties. I have two kids now so I would like a true 4 door super cab maybe vs my current 3 door extended cab. My budget is around 9K at most so I have been looking at 03 to 07 Chevy and Ford Models around 150 to 200K. I KNOW this is considered high mileage but I have a budget and feel comfortable with the Chevy 5.3 motor from experience. Not as familiar with Ford 5.4. Does The 5.4 Ford engine have a history for long life and mileage? Should I take a gamble and purchase another used truck or just fix compressor in my current truck and press on? If I    buy I hope to sell current and get around 4K on mine. I have had good luck in past on used purchases but know it is always a risk unless you know maint. History. Thanks for feedback.

Brad Eden

Good question....It should get some good response...but also check out this thread I started a few weeks back. Similar dilemma.

When are repairs enough already...

Clueless1

I'm always more comfortable with the known.  Personally, I spend $750 get the AC fixed on a third vehicle that is running well and I know the history on.  You could spend $9k and end up with a pile of junk.  Sounds like you have a good engine.

I would be kicking myself if I sold my known vehicle and ended up with a piece of crap.  Anything with over 150,000 in my book is iffy, at least until I get comfortable with it. 

That's what my head tells me.  What I would probably do is sell the known and buy something different just because I was tired of the old truck and wanted a change:D

gunsrus

311,000 is a lot of miles but you say you only put on 8,000 a year . If your comfortable , stay with it . I just bought a 1999 Tahoe 2 door with 125,000 and feel very comfortable using it yearly low mileage for the grouse woods . 

Like clueless said unless your tired of the old truck and just want something new . 

Dogwood

Given that you'd prefer a super cab for the kids sell it and buy a used super.

grousehunter 61

Keep it, you like it, it works for you and you know the truck. You have no idea what you could be buying used. I still drive my 71 chevy truck, 534,000. on the clock, keep it...........

bobman

IMO most modern well cared for engines will go 500K miles, so moneywise I'd fix it.

However with 2 kids if you need the room find a clean truck with 4 doors and go for it.

Nothing wrong with either engine if you buy the latest version you can find,  don't buy the first year they came out there's always something they improve after a couple model years experience

Dogwood
1 hour ago, bobman said:

IMO most modern well cared for engines will go 500K miles, so moneywise I'd fix it.

Really?  Regardless of the make?

bobman

well in the big four yes..... ford, chevy, dodge and toyota

blanked

500,000 for a gas?   What do you expect out of diesel

henryrski
18 minutes ago, blanked said:

More

UplandHntr

311,000 miles, havent you gotten your money out of that vehicle? Pretty hard to be upset when you have a breakdown and get stranded somewhere. 700 miles a month is still a lot of miles for that vehicle.

Cut and run

bobman
1 hour ago, blanked said:

800k or more

67diesel

Agree bobman on the engine life.  A lot of guys don't keep up with trans fluid changes.  Always always change fluid out before what the owners manual says is the interval.  And the old wives tale about not changing old fluid because the new fluid might mess up the clutch components, I don't buy that.

gunsrus

My 1999 Tahoe with 125,000 . by the time it makes 311,000 I'll be dead !

IMG_0721.JPG