• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Bird Buster

When to Let Go of Old Truck? New Purchase?

Dogwood
28 minutes ago, bobman said:

Mobil 1 10W-40 High Mileage Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 qt.

I'd be inclined to spend the extra $ on synthetic if someone could prove it really is superior to dinosaur oil.

dogrunner
2 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

We have a 2008 Escape with the 4=cyclinder engine. We drive it a lot (30K per year) and the recommended oil is 5W-20. What would you recommend? Would using a heavier oil reduce fuel mileage?

5-30 should be fine if you want to go heavier. Or if it burns oil go to 10-30, but my 2.5 in an Escape was a good little motor. Probably reduce it just a hair but I doubt you will notice it. 

bobman
46 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

I'd be inclined to spend the extra $ on synthetic if someone could prove it really is superior to dinosaur oil.

400K on my truck uses maybe a 1/2 quart every 5000 miles when I change it with that oil,  311K on my car with full synthetic run perfects similar oil consumption

MN Tonester

My 1999 Tahoe with 125,000 . by the time it makes 311,000 I'll be dead !

I take it the great state of Maine does not use the prodigious amounts of salt on winter roads that MN does.  Looks in good shape

dogrunner
1 hour ago, Dogwood said:

It is superior in cold and hot conditions and over the long haul. 

gunsrus
55 minutes ago, MN Tonester said:

I take it the great state of Maine does not use the prodigious amounts of salt on winter roads that MN does.  Looks in good shape

The Tahoe just arrived this year from the South . It is rust free (for now) . I was speaking with the mechanics in Bethel , Maine just recently as they were attempting to remove lug nuts off a 2012 Jeep Wrangler . It seems Jeep lug nuts are fashionably coated with tin and they rust , thereby removing them with a lug wrench is impossible because they all corrode from the salt . These guys had to drill out 11 lug nuts to get the tires off . They told me that just recently the major highways of Maine are now treated with ''liquid'' salt and the obvious outcome is destroying cars . 

So much for my 1999 Tahoe lasting ''many years'' !

67diesel
11 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

We have a 2008 Escape with the 4=cyclinder engine. We drive it a lot (30K per year) and the recommended oil is 5W-20. What would you recommend? Would using a heavier oil reduce fuel mileage?

No, not that you will notice.  Dyno results are different, however.

Auto-5

One of the reasons for the 5w-20w recommendation is a lot of newer engines have reduced oil channel size as part of meeting emission standards. That's part of the reason some engine  are so succeptable to sludge blocking the oil passageways and boom you lose the top end of your engine. The Chrysler 2.7 v6 and some VW engines were examples.  The thinner oil flows thru these openings better.  If I was worried I would probably look to synthetics other than going heavier but that's just my opinion. I've had good luck with the synthetic blends in the last 2-3 cars I've had and cost is about the same as regular oil. I think if the synthetics offer much  it's in cold weather starts.

provident

Just bought a new Honda Pilot and synthetic oil is a requirement. Also, because of the aforementioned computer repair costs, we opted for the extended warranty, Honda Care, which will cover any and all computer and computer related issues. BTW, when considering any extended warranty, beware that there is a HUGE difference in prices dealer-to-dealer, for the exact same coverage. The Maine dealer from whom we purchased the car wanted $3054.23 for coverage, and we got the exact same coverage for $800 from an out of state dealer, and all are honored by dealers throughout the US.

quailguy
4 hours ago, provident said:

BTW, when considering any extended warranty, beware that there is a HUGE difference in prices dealer-to-dealer, for the exact same coverage. The Maine dealer from whom we purchased the car wanted $3054.23 for coverage, and we got the exact same coverage for $800 from an out of state dealer, and all are honored by dealers throughout the US.

There is also a big difference due to deductible amount. $0 vs $500 can be a grand.

RE older trucks ( and I had an '06 F250 until last Sept) it will be increasingly difficult to get parts. One of my friends has a completely redone to new 1992 Dodge 4x4 2.5 ton. It is a wonderful truck that he is trading in this coming week for a 2017 Cummins Dodge. He is having real trouble getting spare parts for the old truck. Not a good deal if your old truck breaks down in Glendive, MT and the dealer has to go all the way to Billings for a part. At least in my experience.  

OTH, I got to eat in all the different places in Glendive for 3 days. :D

Birdcountry70
3 hours ago, quailguy said:

There is also a big difference due to deductible amount. $0 vs $500 can be a grand.

RE older trucks ( and I had an '06 F250 until last Sept) it will be increasingly difficult to get parts. One of my friends has a completely redone to new 1992 Dodge 4x4 2.5 ton. It is a wonderful truck that he is trading in this coming week for a 2017 Cummins Dodge. He is having real trouble getting spare parts for the old truck. Not a good deal if your old truck breaks down in Glendive, MT and the dealer has to go all the way to Billings for a part. At least in my experience.  

OTH, I got to eat in all the different places in Glendive for 3 days. :D

Are you saying that waiting three days for a part is not normal?  I gotta get out of Montana more! ?