REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Bird Buster

Bark Collar Advice?

Bird Buster

What brand do you recommend for bark collars and why? Thanks for feedback.

Dave Quindt

The last time I talked to a few different pros the Dogtras were preferred to the Garmins. It's been a few years since I last asked, but I know Brenda Rowe at Walnut Kennels there in Georgia said the Dogtras were their favorites.  Might want to ping her via email or FB.

FWIW,

Dave

topdog1961

I have the Sportdog rechargeable one. It's pretty much a PIA. Either it has quirks or my GSP is smart enough to turn it off and on, and he ain't smart. 

h8brick

Dogtra is good, but if you have a ecollar it will work if at home, just reach over grab it and give him the juice while barking , god I hate a barking dog!!! And my neighbors to!!!! Should be outlawed and the person that allows it should be ticketed

3crosses

I had a sport dog and if the dog walked fast the thing would shock her. Couldn't understand why she wouldn't come in the house. Poor dog was getting shocked while walking.

browndrake

Several Garmin e collars also have bark collar feature built in

quailguy

Just got a new SportDog bark collar with the 0-9 bark controls. My GSP Donner (Thunder is German) is a barkin' fool and we hate it. So far in 2 days he has only barked once. Right after I put it on him.   :D

Natty Bumpo

Dogtra.. They make several, pick your flavor.

dogrunner

I just bought this and it has a bark collar built in. Not sure how good it works yet but it is small and charges in 2 hours. 

IMG_3203.JPG

IMG_3229.JPG

caleb

I have an old Tritronics that's been a lifesaver with a dog that wanted to bark inside the car.  My only complaint about it is that it uses an odd battery that I have to order online.

bullseyebill

We recently were compelled to purchase a bark collar.  Our Vizsla barked for 3 hours nonstop while we were gone and the windows in the house were open.  Someone called the police.  

We purchased the Dogtra YS600.  I also bought the shorter prongs and also a cover for one of the prongs so he's only getting shocked by one of the prongs.

It seems to be working well.  He rarely barks and then usually once.  He barks a bit more (but not much) if he's not wearing the collar.  We've had the collar for about 4 months and it's set to level 2.

Cindy

Up North

How is it able to shock with one prong covered?

marjolein

I have both the dogtra ys500 and the garmin barklimiter. Both work wonders, although I prefer the barklimiter. I turn this on auto mode as opposed to a fixed level on the YS. Auto means it first starts by giving a warning (I believe this is a beep). If the dog continues, it starts giving electric pulses untill the dog stops. In the end, the dog will stop barking by the sound of the beep.

Cold Iron
2 hours ago, marjolein said:

I have both the dogtra ys500 and the garmin barklimiter. Both work wonders, although I prefer the barklimiter. I turn this on auto mode as opposed to a fixed level on the YS. Auto means it first starts by giving a warning (I believe this is a beep). If the dog continues, it starts giving electric pulses untill the dog stops. In the end, the dog will stop barking by the sound of the beep.

I have the garmin barklimiter also run it in auto too, really like it as much as you can a bark collar anyhow. 2 dogs now and need to get another one but need a TT15 for the Alpha first. Although some neighbors might disagree but the oldest is pretty good now, at least for the most part.

Cold Iron
On 8/25/2017 at 5:44 PM, browndrake said:

Several Garmin e collars also have bark collar feature built in

I just caught this as I was closing out of the thread. After checking sure enough I already have 2 bark collars with my existing TT15 and didn't even realize it. Thank you!!