• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Michael Stenstrom

My new Kestrel strikes hard

Michael Stenstrom

Had a great first hunt with my new Tolke Kestrel II.  I can't say enough good things about this little bow.  I started out working a bird that was roosted close to my set up in the woods.  Of course he did not use the open landing spot and alley way I expected him to, but came in from the side with 7 jakes.  For some reason he did not like my hen and DSD Jake and slunk off with his entourage.  I use a little half round blind from LL Bean and thought he might have seen me.  I know the two jakes that snuck up from behind did as they alarm putted for quite a while.  That didn't deter the tom and two of his original 8 from coming back and still spooking at the decoy after I did a bunch of calling.  Another tom was closing in but circled out of sight and continued on.  

With no active birds around I packed up, returned to the truck and traded the jake decoy for another hen.  Climbing back up the hill I proceeded to check and move a game camera (it was a dual purpose trip).  When I got close to a field I gave some yelps on my box call and got an immediate response.  I found a wide spot in an old skidder trail leading to the field and set up.  The opening was only about 7 yards in diameter.  I did some calling and the birds would respond every time, but seemed stuck in place.  

After about 15 minutes I decided to pack up, swing around them and get to power line at the upper end of the field.  I figured they would move that way better.  Just as I had the blind all disassembled and rolled up they cut loose with a gobble half way to my location.  I quickly reset the blind and sat back down.  In stead of coming down the field and up the skidder trail they were coming straight through the thick popple regrowth.  I caught a glimpse as they got close and then there was a longbeard followed by a second in strut.  When the strutter stepped into my shooting window I drew and when he lifted his head into a half strut I released.  The arrow hit about two inches higher than I was aiming.  It whistled through his head and he just sat down.  The second tom didn't know what happened and I could have gotten a shot at him if I wasn't already tagged out, taking my first allotted bird with a shotgun earlier in the week.  The Treeshark broadhead did an amazing job.  I have found out I get 1/4 rotation every 8 yards on my arrows.  
17lbs, 14 ozs. , 8.5" beard, 3/4" spurs

FullSizeRender (5).jpg

Coalman

Congrats Mike. That was an exciting story.

MoSpaniels

Twack...thanks for taking us along.

Mark Stella/WV

Nice bird, nice shot, and nice bow. I shoot sticks and strings too. :)

Brad Eden

Nice job trad man. Nice job.

Irishwhistler

NICE hunt Mike.?

TEAM TRAD☘️

vabirddog

very cool, Congrats!

polecat

Nice. Gotta love your dedication to stick and string. Congrats.

MAArcher

Nice.  Any bird with a bow is a trophy, never mind no training wheels!

TTSpringers

Congrats!  Great story and heck of an accomplishment with that beautiful bow. 

Michael Stenstrom

The bow is a thing of beauty, the back and belly laminates are mirrored and bookended Bocote.

D7F53152-2692-47B6-8512-5A8202806FED_zps

oh and deadly!

SODAKer

Michael,

Who is the maker of the box call pictured? 

Brad Eden
4 minutes ago, SODAKer said:

Michael,

Who is the maker of the box call pictured? 

Mikes a talented boy...knife maker....and he made that box call. He's a UJ Ad Sponsor as well. Outdoorsmans Edges Site

Michael Stenstrom

I have been having a discussion on Brad's find the right bird thread with Todd McCutheon (mccuha) about the call.  I used a pattern of an old South Carolina call maker named Neil Cost.  I don't claim to be the call maker he was, but they work well on my Maine birds.

TJK68

Congrats on that bird!!!!! Mr. Cost is a call making legend for sure, that is a very nice looking call you made. Toelke makes nice bows, I have had a couple, I switched to shooting ASL'S or "Hill" style as some call them, and sold the Toelke's. Anyway nice job...