2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
dogrunner

A soggy shoot last weekend.

dogrunner

A wet rainy day. Always nice to have a tower on the course. I got both of them. Also had a 5-stand with 8 traps never seen anyone shoot it that day. I ran the station with the umbrella pic but not so good on others. 

IMG_0826.JPG

IMG_0829.JPG

IMG_0830.JPG

KerryLuft

Just my observation, but I see a lot of 5-stands sitting empty these days.  The exceptions are trap/skeet clubs where 5-stand is the only option for a sporting experience.

Snipeaholic
6 hours ago, KerryLuft said:

The exceptions are trap/skeet clubs where 5-stand is the only option for a sporting experience.

That is the case in our neck of the woods. The sporting courses see activity on the 5-stands for warm ups and shoot offs on tournament days.

dogrunner

Well actually that 5-stand was setup for competition but only 7 people shot it that day, probably because of the weather. There regular 5-stand was getting plenty of use before each flight. Our 5-stand at my club got deleted 5 years back, not many wanted to shoot it or run it. I actually liked it because I could practice more shots on it by moving traps and standing where ever I wanted, better than our shitty sporting course.

KerryLuft

Not many people shooting competition 5-stands either, except at Big Blasts when there are lots of punches and All American points to be had.  At the club where I am a member, we generally have 120 or so shooters in the 100-bird main, 60 plus in FITASC with some rotations being full, and about 50 5-stand shooters, many of whom are chasing points for the regional/all-state team. I think the rise of FITASC has something to do with it as that is simply a superior game. :D

As snipeaholic said and you mentioned, lots of people use 5-stands as a warmup before going out on the course.  At my club, people warm up instead on one of the other courses (we have three).

At the place where I work, 5-stand was nearly as popular as sporting, but I think part of that had to do with the fact that the sporting course was heavily wooded and targets were hard to see for older shooters.  We've done a lot of work and opened up the venues considerably and I believe sporting will rapidly grow in popularity.

dogrunner

I like a good 5-stand especially if it has 8 traps.  But I would rather shoot Fitasc more than any other. 

Kemo Sabe

I equally like all three -- sporting, FITASC, and 5 Stand. The individual variations make them all fun.

One of our local trap clubs has a great 75 target 5 stand competition one Sunday a month. It has 12 traps, and Is a total hoot, and very relaxing. 

dogrunner

Sounds like fun with 12 traps. 

Kemo Sabe
1 hour ago, dogrunner said:

Sounds like fun with 12 traps. 

It is. Ask Kerry, he shot it.

And you know, it's not uncommon to get it the stand, and be confused as to what target you are getting the first time through. It's hard to remember them all.

At this one club, we have a tuna-mint once a month. Everyone  goes through 3 times. First time, it's a single, report pair, report pair layout. Second time, a single, report pair, true pair. Third time, single, true pair, true pair. You hang out in between, watching others shoot and learning the targets. There's a good supply of drinks and munchies.

A big lunch is served after the shooting is done.  

There's a $100 for the HOA score, $100 for RU score, and $100 for a random Lewis Class. Can be interesting, as last month, two guys tied for HOA and had to split the $100, while the RU was alone and got the whole $100. It's cool, and part of the fun.

All of this for $65.

Kerry came out here, shot it cold turkey, and went home with an extra C-Note.

KerryLuft

It was a very fun shoot, but the real fun was in the camaraderie, not the targets.  There were guys there with Krieghoffs and guys there with pump guns. Everyone had a ball.

The fact is, not everyone is going to enjoy serious competition because at some level, a very social sport becomes a very antisocial sport.  When I go out to shoot, I go to work on specific things and I shoot by myself or with one similar-minded friend.  Sometimes a pair of targets is all I want at a particular station; sometimes I shoot two boxes of shells at one target.

I sometimes am invited to shoot a casual round on softer targets and I seldom accept, because I get antsy thinking that I should be working on problem targets instead of laughing and joking over slow pulls, amazingly lucky shots, and missed lollipops.

That shoot with Gary reminded me of the fun that got me shooting clays in the first place, and reminded me even more that there's room in the game for everyone, at every level of interest.  And maybe, it reminded me that for most of us, this is a game and perhaps we shouldn't always be so serious about it.

Kemo Sabe

I think a good reason why I enjoy this 5 Stand is that I know at age 65, that  my best shooting days are behind me. I still do shoot very well at times, but my consistency has become more inconsistent. But these 5 stand targets are hardly lollipops. Most of the layouts are tough, and scoring in the 20s per round isn't easy. 

But it is relaxing, and jolly. I like that on a Sunday morning shoot after a very pressure packed Saturday Tuna-Mint. 

KerryLuft
4 hours ago, Kemo Sabe said:

But these 5 stand targets are hardly lollipops.

Couldn't be too rough if I did well on them. :/

Kemo Sabe
16 hours ago, KerryLuft said:

Couldn't be too rough if I did well on them. :/

They may have been a little softer that day, as the club manager has been pressing for just that. But on most times, there's a number of ball busters in the mix.

Kemo Sabe

I personally think that as time goes on, we are going to see more 5 Stand layouts. It takes less land, and they work well at trap and skeet clubs.

I also shoot in a Thursday Night under the lights 5 Stand League at a different trap and skeet club. Great fun! Super targets! I also won the silver dollar/gold belt buckle last year, which made it even more fun.