2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Ruger1

One on one...

Ruger1

My SC shooting has really been deteriorating lately, missing the "gimme shots" (those sorts of shots you know are going to be a miss the instant you pull the trigger) beginning to drop the gun as  soon as the trigger is pulled, having absolutely no idea why I continually miss a middlin' crosser shot after shot after shot,  panicking on the second bird of a fairly easy true pair.....

My best  Master Class SC buddy woke me up a 7 a.m. the other morning with, "I can't stand the way you're shooting any longer. Load up, we'll open the gate to our club and bring a lot of bullets, I have a card with a couple of hundred birds still on it and I won't even bring my shotgun." We skipped every "easy" station and concentrated on the toughies - chandelles, batteauxs' , fast crossers, slow  almost in your face droppers (a real pitfall for me) ..... I say, "I want to shoot this station," he says, "Why? "You could make living at that station...nothing for you to learn there, move on."

"What did you see on that bird...?" "It's not what you did  but rather why did you do it that way ." "Yes you broke the bird but swing thru will come to bite you in the ass on really fast crossers - learn to shoot easy crossers the right way and the fast crossers will be your friends. I'd rather see you miss a bird by trying to break it the right way rather then breaking it the wrong way..."

"Trust your eyes not the shotgun, the shotgun can't see anything..." 

On a slow and dropping in your face presentation: "Why are you leading it"..."well because it's still moving"... "But it's dropping very, very  slowly, as soon as you can see up it's skirt at six o'clock pull the trigger..." "What do you mean you saw the bead...don't look at the bead look at the bird, you're shooting the bird not the bead." "...on really fast crossers don't focus on the bird, focus on where the bird is going to be..." On and on and on....

WOW - By the end of the morning I made a lot of friends amongst presentations that used to be my enemy. 

I guess sometimes one  reaches a point in shooting - as with any sporting endeavor - that one seems to  learn not so much anymore by shooting with a squad of one's rambunctious buddies on a Saturday morning  as opposed to a one on one lesson with someone who really knows what they're talking about and is willing to share it with you. Needless to say I'm really grateful for having....

Ruger 1

studdog

Your a lucky guy.  Although fun, you don't learn much shooting a round with your friends.  Sounds like you had a good session with a knowledgeable coach.  Also, sometimes it's better to go out and practice what you've had trouble with by yourself doing lots of repetitions until you get it right.

Bert in W N.C.

Well done. Last December I spent way too money for some " adult supervision" for my shooting. I am still absorbing and trying to put into practice what I was taught. Would I do it again? Heck yeah!

terrym

You're lucky to have such a mentor. I would pay to get some expert training but up here that doesn't exist. 

dogrunner

I would like to have a buddy like that, always nice to have somebody with you that has enough knowledge and ask you the right questions on why you did it that way. 

KerryLuft

Very helpful indeed to have a friend who can correctly and constructively help you -- and rare, IMO.  From reading your buddy's comments, he knows what he's doing.

Wish I had a nickel for every well-meaning but erroneous "tip" I've been given over the years ...