• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Coalman

Bugs and Bass 2017

Coalman

As I close in on my sixth decade above terra firma the reality is my body isn't what it used to be. It keeps rebelling with what my mind tells it to do.  Facing the ultimate truth that I may not be able to sustain my level of activity indefinitely I have made a commitment to two things in my sporting life.

1. Hunt grouse and woodcock with my best canine friend Belle.

2. Fish more lobster pots.

Welcome to Bugs and Bass 2017

More pots meant a search on Craig's List. New four foot traps go for $100 apiece. That doesn't include rope or buoy. Found some nice used one for $25 apiece. Thankfully as I retired traps over the years I kept the buoys and rope. I was also gifted a friends tuna fishing nets, buoys and the best part, lots of new rope. I'll never set a gill net for tuna bait but the rope sure did come in handy.

I spent a lot of time in May in our driveway.

5935749b3924a_Gettingready05-23-17web.jpg.55d24b7f09e62f2cf2cfb19fe5441152.jpg

You can't catch lobsters without bait. We are allowed by permit only to net alewives (river herring) on the Squamscott River. It is open Saturday's and Monday's only. The limit is one tote that equals approx. twenty gallons.

This was Thursday May 18th before our Saturday open day. Wouldn't take long throwing a cast net over theses fish to get a limit. They come and they go, very unpredictable. You just have to be there when they are. Everything black is herring from shore to shore. And the best was yet to come.

593575e4951dd_SquamscottRiverAlewives05-18-17web.jpg.c5d9c9c37e0541f8f4dc256937570994.jpg

They were still there Saturday.

5935774e36263_Alewives1web.jpg.2beb293c9e17b040a50270ef7ae3a4c8.jpg

Sunday May 28th we launched the boat. Went for a test ride to the lobster grounds with my son and daughter-in-law. Great boat ride enjoying crackers, pastrami and cheese.

Monday May 29 the river had so many fish they were sideways in the pools. I was done in an hour.

593578d0e19de_Alewives2web.jpg.99c398bae281f90c86aa1b5b5d24ab54.jpg

I also got a limit Saturday June 3rd. I have enough bait now to run twenty traps all summer. Free bait is good but it did cost sweat on my brow.

Yesterday for the earliest time in the last few years a load of pots was sunk at Fox Point. Bugs and Bass 2017 begins. Hope you enjoy the ride.

5935798c68aa7_Boatloadoftrapsweb.jpg.674f91aae235addcac4f54f1c54ca427.jpg

Natty Bumpo

Glad to see this thread up and going again. Good Luck with the lobster catch this season.

When we lived in the East, we vacationed in Maine every year and miss those lobster pool dinners!

atticus

I really enjoy this thread too and look forward to following all summer!

Coalman

June 10, 2017

Checked the bridge before heading out to drown more traps and the herring were thick. Fresh bait is good. Free bait is best.

593d529ec2f1d_June10limitweb.jpg.f9ba0e4cc51922e672013b2af5aa43c5.jpg

First check produced a few bugs. Wicked hard shell.

Gonnah need a hammah!

593d52aa15007_HammahLobsterweb.jpg.02fa347649402d8aaaa08f7d2bf07ff1.jpg

Dogwood

Here we go!

Brad Eden

OK , with 90 degree temps here in Maine yesterday, summer has hit and Im ready for my first lobster or two of the year!

gunsrus

Dave , I feel your pain . My mind says go , go , go , my body says no , no , no ! 

Looking forward to this . 

Brad Eden
Just now, gunsrus said:

Dave , I feel your pain . My mind says go , go , go , my body says no , no , no ! 

Looking forward to this . 

No kidding. I feel like Ive aged 10 years from the age of 55 to my current 59. Doesn't bode well for the future. I've been working with a carpenter this weekend building a garage and I'm all beat up. (As much as I hate the thought I need to do some sort of stretching or Yoga soon)

Skybuster

You guys have it made in Maine... lobster and grouse hunting within an hour or less. Brad, just wait until you are 75! Wednesday I'm due for another knee injection.

Coalman

Meet Sledge

Gotta be all of three pounds.

5942c1458d575_Sledgeweb.jpg.5b2095fb299ee7115288766cae68e9b4.jpg

I call him Sledge because I'm going to need a sledge hammer to get the meat out.

About a pound per trap yesterday. The bugs are starting to crawl.

Brad Eden

Let me know when the softshells are moving... ;):P

Fire Marshal Bill

I love following this thread. You are very colorful and entertaining, not to mention the beautiful pic's of your catch!! Keep'm coming.  

Hub

Love this thread!

Coalman

06-17-17

Shawn came with me today. 20 traps, 3 keepers. Not so good. Wicked red crabs this year. I think they are eating my fish bait before it can make a scent trail. I'm using commercial cow hide bait for the reason that when the fish bait is gone the cow bait still fishes 24/7. But it lacks the calling power.

06-18-17

Father's Day with Shawn at our camp on the east side of a sleepy western Maine mountain. We did landscaping and enjoyed a lobster lunch in memory of my dad.

06-20-17

Since the crabs have been devouring my herring I wanted to do a mid week check. 20 traps, 11 keepers now in the car. Will check this weekend and then have a family boil.

I can get used to that. :)

Eel traps were empty. No bait. I need horseshoe crabs bad. Have a couple dozen eels in the five gallon bucket converted to a keeper car hanging off the dock. Time to start the Bass portion of summer.

lking

Really cool Dave.  Really cool!  Love seeing how things are done far from my home.