• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Coalman

Bugs and Bass 2017

Coalman

Thanks MA. I think it is all about location. I grew up when we played in the woods and built forts. Hunting and fishing was just something the neighborhood kids did.

I feel very sad for today's youth. You see them, their faces stuck to a cell phone screen. They don't even look for traffic when they walk down the road.

It means they are missing life all around them.

07-29-17
First berried female lobster of the summer. Look at all those eggs. Note the V notch in her flipper. Lobstermen are required by law to V notch female lobsters with eggs. 2nd flipper in from the right with the lobster in an upright position. Notched or egg laden female lobsters cannot be possessed. They get the release of life to do what they do best. Make baby lobsters.

597de2412bddb_Berriedfemale07-29-17web.jpg.d1e69a2f33d5607e14b0ca65a28a47f5.jpg

This notch was not new though. I have been notching and releasing female lobsters in my trapping area this and past summers. My gift back to the resource. This female lobster shared the parlor with another barren V notched female lobster.

597de2482bfc6_Closeupberriedfemale07-29-17web.jpg.21a295cdf181132b659c7d594277bcee.jpg

Sportsmen and women are the true conservationist.

597de24ea7a5b_FoxPointkeeper07-29-17web.jpg.8406b74e74589a1451fd703c16960cd6.jpg

Coalman

08-05-17
August already. You can tell by the water temps and the bug count. Half a pound a trap.

Last week a sea monster grabbed one of my traps. Wouldn't let go. This week The buoy is gone. It was high tide so maybe it was under. Will check at low tide next week.

Lots of seals at Fox Point

08-12-17
I've got the Summer Time Lobster Blues. 18 traps, 5 keepers. One was a good size female, no notch. She has a notch now and is swimming free.

Caught this Comb Jelly (type of jellyfish) at Fox Point. The zipper pattern is their tentacles.

5996ea574a54c_CombJelly08-12-17web.jpg.6d5d053ce555726a6b354c7ad713e8a5.jpg

The sea monster trap is gone. Buoy and all. That sucker was hungry. Second trap lost this summer.

08-17-17
The weather and tide cooperated tonight. First time fishing this month. It was good to smell the air change from inland to coastal when I got to Fox Point. Life's little pleasures.

Drowned two eels, caught two stripers. Both 25". Both released. Gotta be 28" to keep. Even then I would have let them go. The fall bite is starting. These fish have a long ways to go to get back to their winter hangout in the Chesapeake Bay. Loading up on grub is their sole purpose.

5996ea799df41_Pole08-17-17_web.jpg.d817bc0c6c9b5b1423c588d4a5fc4521.jpg

Saw a BIG seal at Sunk Ledge.

The tidal island at Adam's Point was submerged when I started the Yamaha for the ride home across open bay. That means I can take the shortcut across the flats. In the fading light of day I saw the water boiling in front of the boat. In three and a half feet of water a school of micro bass were jumping out of the water like carp in the Midwest. Took a short video but my engine noise put them down.

Sunset on Great Bay looking at Newmarket/Durham, NH.

Life is good.

5996e9c5eab79_Sunset08-17-17web.jpg.6aaf2ee4a90bba4e40707326b11926f4.jpg

MAArcher

Any squid yet?

Coalman

09-04-17
Today's incoming tide with that strong southwest wind made the Bay look and feel like the Bering Sea.

I hate fishing in the troth.

First six traps 10 keepers. Next 12 traps two keepers.  Guess where those 12 are now?

Traps to dry dock next weekend. I am officially out of bait. Perfect timing for the new business and the upcoming upland season.

UNH finally got their new weather station on the old railroad trestle. Got to find out the link.

59aedb58a991a_UNHweatherstationweb.jpg.74f2351e3d8cedb0f1cf3df6ac344983.jpg

Millriver

Thanks for the thread! Looks like a great way to spend a summer. I've always wanted to try lobstering, must be kind of like trapping shiners for ice fishing, never know what's going to be in the trap (kinda simplified, I know, my apologies!) Thanks for taking us along on your journeys.

Big Al
On 9/6/2017 at 0:59 PM, Millriver said:

Thanks for the thread! Looks like a great way to spend a summer. I've always wanted to try lobstering, must be kind of like trapping shiners for ice fishing, never know what's going to be in the trap (kinda simplified, I know, my apologies!) Thanks for taking us along on your journeys.

+1

Coalman

09-09-17
Last pull of the season. Out of bait and the upland hunting season is just around the corner. Very happy with my season. Ate enough lobsters that my mercury level could probably substitute for a thermometer.

Set on the outgoing tide to start the season and pull on the incoming. Got to the boat right at low tide. A very minus tide. At high tide the boat would be level. Bet they are eight feet down.

59b6965e6c321_Lastday2017negativetideweb.jpg.6576a22893963a0f0af35030938391fe.jpg

It took three trips. These first seven produced eight keepahs. The remaining traps held eight more. Sixteen bugs to end the season. The fall run is just getting started.

59b6966813fb5_Firstloadback09-09-17web.jpg.0b94109d4b5915ac7105e281f2b6a01d.jpg

Had the Bay to myself on the last trip in. The boat will stay in a little longer so we can enjoy the soft shell clam and oyster seasons. Today was opening day of soft shelled clams but the NH F&G postponed it because we got too much rain during the week.

Thank you all for coming along especially the Lord for His protection and bounty. Amen!

59b6966e0734b_Deadcalm09-09-17web.jpg.39531e36119ae883d46d76516d3216d7.jpg

Fire Marshal Bill

Another great year. Thanks for sharing Coleman. I really enjoy your post. Take care.