Brad Eden

The spoils...

Brad Eden

I typically use a hand grinder for game meat but bought an electric grinder from Cabelas last fall after already processing the two deer I shot. (Doe/bow, buck/rifle). 

I finally took it out of the box yesterday. I took one breast from the wild turkey I shot, and ground about 2/3 of it and cut the rest into strips that are in the fridge marinating in teriyaki marinade, to be grilled tonite or tomorrow. We had the burgers last night.

Simple Wild Turkey Burger Recipe.

I had enough ground wild turkey for three good sized burgers

Im guessing for about a pound of ground meat:

add about 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs

add about 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder

add a couple tablespoons of chopped chives

add a dash of basil and of thyme

add salt and ground pepper

add a few splashes of milk.

mix in bowl by hand and form burgers

coat lightly in olive oil

Place on a hot grill, brown both sides and cook until done, adding a slice of cheese at end to melt (I like cheddar)

We had ours on some freshly sliced white bread with leaf lettuce and sliced tomato, and mayo. 

Outstanding and I'd put these up against any farm raised turkey burger served in a restaurant.

Flyline

Excellent, Brad. Good timing. I was just about to look up some recipes for turkey burgers. In the past, I've always just ground the meat up and formed burgers and put on the grill, but were always too dry. Looks like this may moisten it up a bit. Any thoughts of putting an egg in it? Either way, I'll be trying very soon. Thanks!

Brad Eden
16 minutes ago, Flyline said:

Excellent, Brad. Good timing. I was just about to look up some recipes for turkey burgers. In the past, I've always just ground the meat up and formed burgers and put on the grill, but were always too dry. Looks like this may moisten it up a bit. Any thoughts of putting an egg in it? Either way, I'll be trying very soon. Thanks!

I use an egg when making any type of venison or beef meatballs or meatloaf but I find it makes turkey burger too gooey for lack of a better term.

Dogwood
11 hours ago, Flyline said:

Maybe add a bit of mayo to the mix a la crab cakes?

Brad Eden

Could, but the amount of breadcrumbs and dash of milk determines how well they can be made into patties without being all soggy and stick to the grill. I like mayo on the bread. Sandwich lube so to speak...

I will say I can't believe I went 30 years with a hand grinder. These electric grinders are the bomb. I have packages of venison meat frozen that I will thaw and grind as needed.

Clueless1

Went for al ong time with just a hand grinder myself Brad.  Really made you think before pulling the trigger! 

When the kids were younger (i.e. dumber and not lazy teens :D) I would have a little assembly line on the kitchen counter where I was cutting, one kid was loading and one was turning.  Fortunately I inherited a Cabelas brand grinder a few years ago when someone Iknow bought one and never used it.